Mac Pro Boot With Tiger?

Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying a Mac Pro .... If at all possible, I would like to be able to dual boot, with Leopard or Tiger. Is it possible to boot a Mac Pro with Tiger, from an internal HD or external FW HD? If there is no way possible to boot a Mac Pro from Tiger, is there an emulator that will allow me to run most (or all?) of my old apps that I’ve been running on my iBook G4 1Ghz (running Tiger)? Thanks.

Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying a Mac Pro .... If at all possible, I would like to be able to dual boot, with Leopard or Tiger. Is it possible to boot a Mac Pro with Tiger, from an internal HD or external FW HD? If there is no way possible to boot a Mac Pro from Tiger, is there an emulator that will allow me to run most (or all?) of my old apps that I’ve been running on my iBook G4 1Ghz (running Tiger)? Thanks.
Hello,
The only way to know if the new Mac Pro (Intel) will boot up with Tiger is to try it yourself. There are too many conflicting reports to arrive at a definite conclusion. As far as running your apps on Leopard (Intel) is concerned; I would imagine that most of these apps should be universal Binary by now and should run perfectly. Some of the one's that aren't, might possibly run under "Rosetta" which is an emulator that's part of the Leopard (Intel) operating system. You might want to contact the developers of these apps and make sure that they're universal Binary before proceeding.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303120
By the way, I cloned my eMac (Tiger) to an external drive and although it will mount on the desk top and most of the apps still run, my Intel iMac will not boot from this. But then again, this clone was of a PPC running an operating system that came off of an installation disc for a PPC. :)

Ask a Question