After updating my mac book pro stuck in Boot screen

Reaction score
After updating my mac book pro after rebooting got stuck in Boot screen apple logo the progress bar took long time to finish and then it kind of freeze there.
1st I tried to boot in safe mode nothing happened loads the bar under the logo and freezes
2nd tried to boot and scan the disk for errors and seemed to fix something, when finished succesfully I restarted and same as before loads the bar to the end and stopes
3rd option restarted and tried to reinstall os x again and now the problem is I'm stuck at the 'Installing: About 33 minutes remaining- Installation is in progress.Calculating time remaining.'.I have been like this for over 2 hours.
Please help-----

Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. Did you upgrade the OS to a newer version "in place", ie, just applied the updater to your system?

4. Are you making backups to an external device? If so, do you have a backup that was made prior to you updating the OS?

5. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

If the MacBook pro is "kind of" old, there is the possibility that the internal hard drive is dying. If not, the next step would usually be to Erase and Format the internal drive, then do a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of the Mac OS you want, and then to recover your apps, settings, etc. But, if you do not have a backup, and you cannot afford to lose anything on your machine, then you could be in for issues.

How are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? If so, what exact model is it?

Reaction score
There is an issue with upgrading to 10.12.6. Many people are having this problem. It seems at the moment, that reverting to 10.12.5 using Time Machine is the only solution until Apple fix it.
There has been some suggestions to disable .kext files, but that is a a bit techy for most people.

Reaction score
There is an issue with upgrading to 10.12.6. Many people are having this problem. It seems at the moment, that reverting to 10.12.5 using Time Machine is the only solution until Apple fix it.
There has been some suggestions to disable .kext files, but that is a a bit techy for most people.

I have OS 10.12.6 on both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air), and it runs fine. If one has neglected to do any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective, that will certainly contribute to issues. Of course having a recent backup prior to upgrading is essential. Finally, if one has always "upgraded in place", ie, not performed a clean, fresh installation of either a new Mac OS (like going from El Capitan to Sierra), nor "within" the same OS, that also is a potential issue.

Reaction score
Thank you for that advice. How do I do a clean install? Will that affect my files?

Reaction score
First, it is imperative that you have a backup to an external device. Time Machine is OK for that, but the process to do Erase and Format the internal drive, do a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of the Mac OS, and finally using Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from the backup, that entire process will eb labor intensive. Myself, I use SuperDuper! to make a bootable backup/clone of my system. Note I said bootable. That makes that processing I mentioned above a lot smoother. But as long as you have a backup, your files will not be affected.

Also, you need to insure that any third party apps are compatible with Sierra, OS 10.12.x (actually that is the case for any Mac OS).

So, once you have a backup, and let us know what software you used, we can provide a step-by-step guide for the clean installation.

Reaction score
Thank you .. I am on mid-2011 27" iMac. I have backed up with Time Machine.

One other thing I forgot to ask is if you have ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective. You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own.

Whether you have or not, it would be good to do some of those tasks prior to "tackling" this project. In the meantime, you should download the complete OS 10.12.6 from the App store. Just click on the "Featured" tab at the top, and click on "macOS Sierra". It will take some time to download it (depending on your internet connection), but it can be handy to have.

And finally, are all your third party apps up to date, in terms of being compatible with Sierra, OS 10.12.x?

Reaction score
How do I go about cleaning up my software etc. I have run Disk First aid and all is ok, and I have kept all apps up to date.

Reaction score
That's good you have run Disk First Aid, and that you have kept all your applications up to date. However, you also need to do disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective. For disk cleanup, you can start doing some of it yourself. Some examples:

1. Get rid of prior versions of software. For example, I use the venerable program Onyx for disk cleanup (I'll talk more about it below). I keep the prior version in a folder I have entitled "Useful Software" (I have quite a few other programs there also). When a newer version comes out, I install and test it. As usual, it works. So, I proceed to save that new version to its appropriate folder, and get rid of the 2nd prior version. No sense cluttering up my drive (SSD in my case).

2. I use Outlook 2016 as my EMail client, and whenever I delete an EMail, I get rid of it permanently. There is a simple keyboard combination I use for this. Again, I don't want to clutter up my drive.

Now, as for some more disk cleanup, and disk maintenance/repairs, there are a number of excellent products out there, both free and commercial, that can help you with that. Myself I use the excellent freeware program Onyx, available from here:

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

(Make sure you get the right version). Onyx has been around for quite some time, has had numerous excellent reviews, and is good at what it does. I also use the excellent program TechTool Pro for more extensive disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. Here is a link that discusses TechTool Pro:

'https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro

Like Onyx, it has been around for quite some time, works well, and is rock solid. I depend upon both Onyx and TechTool Pro.

Even with those products, one needs to follow a time line when to use them. Myself, I am doing "self" disk cleanup on a daily basis (actually numerous times each day). Also, I run Onyx, TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper! (for my backups) once a week, usually on Saturdays. I havre been following all that for so long, it is second nature to me. The result is that I rarely (if ever) have issues with my machines.

Additionally, if I want to completely get rid of an application, I use the excellent freeware program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

As you can see, besides getting rid of the application itself, it gets rid of just about all the other files associated with the app.

Finally, if you want to proceed with a clean installation of Sierra OS 10.12.6, again doing that with a Time Machine backup is OK< but definitely labor intensive (and time consuming). Myself, I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and doing a clean installation of the Mac OS is much smoother from a SuperDuper! backup (plus less time consuming). If you are interested in doing your backups that way, I can fill you in with some information.

Last edited:

Ask a Question