Mac is slow to wake after updating to macOS Sierra

Reaction score
I recently updated to the new macOS Sierra. when i put my mac to sleep n wake it after like 10-20 minutes it comes like this in the pic
c5efb202-4fbe-4f10-be2c-f99665fb85d2.jpeg

it has never happened like this before. and then the mouse takes like 15 seconds to connect. all this is suddenly happening after i updated. Any one experiencing same problem ? what am i supposed to do ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
We need to know the following:

1. How exactly did you "upgrade"? Did you just upgrade the OS you were using to OS 10.12?

2. What exact Mac model do you have?

3. What OS did you upgrade from?

4. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

5. Are you making backups to an external device?

This link has a list of some issues with OS 10.12:

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/24/troubleshooting-macos-sierra-problems/

An update to Sierra, OS 10.12.1, is currently in beta testing, and should be released by the end of the month. Not sure if it will cure your issues, though.

If you did just upgrade from your prior OS to Sierra, it might have been better if you did a clean installation of OS 10.12., That would have involved Erasing and re-formatting your internal drive. That would have definitely been the way to go if you have not been doing much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. However, for such an upgrade, you would need a recent backup. In fact, the preferred strategy would have been 1) do disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, 2) make a backup, 3) boot your Mac "externally", 4) run Disk Utility from that "external source" to Erase and re-format your internal drive, 5) do the clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12 onto your internal drive, and 6) use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy any needed "stuff" from your backup.

If you have a recent backup, you might try that strategy when OS 10.12.1. comes out.

Reaction score
Hi,

Just asking if you are sure it is sleep mode and not hibernation.

Because in standard sleep the system keeps the contents of its memory active by providing power only to the RAM chips. This allows quick wake-up times but also draws a touch more power as it requires uninterrupted power to maintain RAM contents.

But and this is a big but when it hibernates the system will write RAM contents to disk, after which the entire system can be shut down. This mode requires longer wake-up times as RAM contents are restored, but will save the most energy.

And from your screen shot you seem to have a progress bar, so would indicate hibernation.

I would double check your energy settings in system preferances.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We need to know the following:

1. How exactly did you "upgrade"? Did you just upgrade the OS you were using to OS 10.12?

2. What exact Mac model do you have?

3. What OS did you upgrade from?

4. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

5. Are you making backups to an external device?

This link has a list of some issues with OS 10.12:

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/24/troubleshooting-macos-sierra-problems/

An update to Sierra, OS 10.12.1, is currently in beta testing, and should be released by the end of the month. Not sure if it will cure your issues, though.

If you did just upgrade from your prior OS to Sierra, it might have been better if you did a clean installation of OS 10.12., That would have involved Erasing and re-formatting your internal drive. That would have definitely been the way to go if you have not been doing much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. However, for such an upgrade, you would need a recent backup. In fact, the preferred strategy would have been 1) do disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, 2) make a backup, 3) boot your Mac "externally", 4) run Disk Utility from that "external source" to Erase and re-format your internal drive, 5) do the clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12 onto your internal drive, and 6) use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy any needed "stuff" from your backup.

If you have a recent backup, you might try that strategy when OS 10.12.1. comes out.
I just did the upgrade from app store from El Captain. I have iMac 21.5 inch,
  • 1.6GHz dual-core or 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz.. And, no i havent done any back up or disc clean up.
and i have never really done re formatting during upgradation. and the previous updates didn't really have
any problems like this

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Just asking if you are sure it is sleep mode and not hibernation.

Because in standard sleep the system keeps the contents of its memory active by providing power only to the RAM chips. This allows quick wake-up times but also draws a touch more power as it requires uninterrupted power to maintain RAM contents.

But and this is a big but when it hibernates the system will write RAM contents to disk, after which the entire system can be shut down. This mode requires longer wake-up times as RAM contents are restored, but will save the most energy.

And from your screen shot you seem to have a progress bar, so would indicate hibernation.

I would double check your energy settings in system preferances.
i don't think hibernate mode is on. based on what terminal shows...
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 9.11.00 AM.png

Reaction score
By not having any backup, and not doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs will definitely lead to issues.

Reaction score
By not having any backup, and not doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs will definitely lead to issues.
Hello and welcome.

That looks like Safe Sleep mode: If you see a progress bar when your Mac wakes from sleep

Not sure why it started after the macOS Sierra upgrade, but it is a normal feature.

C
screen-shot-2016-10-12-at-9-11-00-am-png.2053

i dont know how to turn off safe sleep. can you please tell me how to do it. the google searches show results about hibernate mode which is not on in my mac

Reaction score
By the way, if you are using a mouse that is not an Apple one, you might need to upgrade the software for it. For example, I use Logitech mice on both of my Macs, and recently, Logitech released a version of its software that is compatible with Sierra. I have not upgraded yet to Sierra, as an upgrade for TechTool Pro has not been released yet. But, I am ready to install the upgrade from Logitech, and also the Sierra-specific version of Onyx. All my other critical software (1Password and SuperDuper!) has had upgrades come out already.

Reaction score
Um, never upgrade to any new Mac OS. Wait until they are completely done with a version before you consider it. And NEVER install any new Mac OS on top of your existing setup until you've tested it on another hard drive for awhile to see how it works for you.

Sorry, I know this won't help this time. But it will the next.

Reaction score
From what I have read/seen, for most folks, OS 10.12 works fine. However, it is also imperative to not upgrade to a new OS until one insures that any third party software they are using is either currently compatible, or upgrades come out for compatibility with the new OS. Such is the case for me. Three products I use (1Password, SuperDuper!, and Onyx) have been upgraded, but one more critical one, TechTool Pro, is still being developed/tested. Even if an upgrade was available, I'd still wait until OS 10.12.1 is released, as that will happen shortly.

As for installing a new OS "on top of" an existing one, I certainly agree with that, and in fact, that is how I will upgrade from OS 10.11.6 to OS 10.12.1.

Ask a Question