Slow imac

Reaction score
Recently I upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.11.6 El Capitan and also changed from AT&T to CableOne because my imac was running so slow. Everything seemed to be running OK, but now I'm running really slow. I can't figure out what I have done to cause this or what I need to do to fix it. My hard drive is about 1/3 full. I think maybe there are some things running in the background that I don't know about that may cause my problem. What would be my first step to bringing me back up to speed?

Reaction score
OK, need to obtain more information:

1. What exact iMac model do you have?

2. How did you upgrade? Did you just upgrade "in place", ie, basically have OS 10.11.6 overwrite OS 10.6.8? That is actually a HUGE jump to take. In addition to other considerations mentioned below, it would have been better to do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of OS 10.11.6.

3, Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

4. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If yo are, what software are you using for that?

5. Did you insure that all your third party software (ie, non-Apple) is compatible with High Sierra? This site can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Once you answer those questions, we can help you better.

Ask a Question