Assistance with Updating Mac

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a mac that I've had since about 2010, and its current version is 10.6.5.

So I went into the software updates and downloaded the updates. However, when I go to install them, it tells me to hit the restart button to install and restart the laptop, and when I do that it just sits on what I guess is a space screensaver and it never really does anything. If I force restart the laptop, the updates haven't been installed and I'm back to square one again.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to install the updates properly? I've left it sitting there for about an hour, I'm assuming it's not going to take longer than that to update.

Thank you!

Reaction score
First of all, need to know the exact Mac model you have.

Secondly, when you say "So I went into the software updates and downloaded the updates", what update/updates were downloaded? Given that you are using 10.6.5, the "fifth" version of Snow Leopard, the last version was 10.6.8.

Third, what OS do you want to upgrade/update to? If it is Leopard (OS 10.7) or higher, you will need to insure that any third party software you use is compatible with that newer OS. If necessary, such software (some, or all) would need an upgrade.

Next, need to know the following:

1. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs at all? If you use Disk Utility for that, you would need to have it run "externally" for it to do a complete job.

2. Are you making any backups to an external device?

3. How much free space is left on your internal drive?

4. Do you have either MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed? If you do, get rid of them IMMEDIATELY, as they do more harm than good.

Once you let us know all that, we can try and help you out. But, a backup is definitely required (unless it is OK for you to lose some "stuff").

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

To add to honestone's excellent suggestions, once the backup situation is acceptable, it may be easier to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. I have seen the issue you described many times, and it is due to one of the updates "hanging" the progress. The Combo updater above contains all of the updates Apple released thru version 10.6.8. Once that is installed, you can the run and install any additional updates that came after the Combo update, which should only be a couple including iTunes and an App Store update.

Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for both of your responses. There is nothing on the mac I'm afraid of losing, I wouldn't care if the whole drive got wiped, I just want it to update properly.

I haven't done any disk cleanup or anything like that, there's about 100 gigs of free space available, I don't need backups because there's nothing I care about losing, and I don't have mackeeper or cleanmymac installed. I'm mainly a windows guy, I only have this mac laptop for school that I was attending a few years back and I'm only just recently wanting to use it again, hence why it's so out of date and stuff.

I would like to update to OS 10.8 or higher for an application I'd like to run that's not allowing me to, since 10.8 is the minimum requirement.

I installed the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 that Cory Cooper linked, and after that installed I tried letting my mac do its software update again, and it keeps getting hung up at the same spot. Once it tells me the laptop needs to restart to install the updates, it loads to a space background screen and just sits there forever not doing anything until I force my laptop to restart.

I don't know if I'll have to manually do every update one by one or what, but clicking the apple icon at the top left and selecting Software Update isn't doing the trick, it just keeps getting my computer hung up trying to install it.

Thank you for your continued help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I solved the problem.

I just made an account with the app store, downloaded the El Capitan OS X version, and it went through and updated it all the way.

Thank you for everyones help, it was most appreciated.

Reaction score
First of all, need to know the exact Mac model you have.

Secondly, when you say "So I went into the software updates and downloaded the updates", what update/updates were downloaded? Given that you are using 10.6.5, the "fifth" version of Snow Leopard, the last version was 10.6.8.

Third, what OS do you want to upgrade/update to? If it is Leopard (OS 10.7) or higher, you will need to insure that any third party software you use is compatible with that newer OS. If necessary, such software (some, or all) would need an upgrade.

Next, need to know the following:

1. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs at all? If you use Disk Utility for that, you would need to have it run "externally" for it to do a complete job.

2. Are you making any backups to an external device?

3. How much free space is left on your internal drive?

4. Do you have either MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed? If you do, get rid of them IMMEDIATELY, as they do more harm than good.

Once you let us know all that, we can try and help you out. But, a backup is definitely required (unless it is OK for you to lose some "stuff").
Hello and welcome.

To add to honestone's excellent suggestions, once the backup situation is acceptable, it may be easier to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. I have seen the issue you described many times, and it is due to one of the updates "hanging" the progress. The Combo updater above contains all of the updates Apple released thru version 10.6.8. Once that is installed, you can the run and install any additional updates that came after the Combo update, which should only be a couple including iTunes and an App Store update.

Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
I have similar issue - have 10.8.5 and tried to install EC - downloads fine but when installing I get the spinning beachball
as soon as I type the first letter in password box - also tried to uninstall Flash Player and get the ball, so I can't do anything - ran disc check which was clean. So frustrating!

Reaction score
Thanks for both of your responses. There is nothing on the mac I'm afraid of losing, I wouldn't care if the whole drive got wiped, I just want it to update properly.

I haven't done any disk cleanup or anything like that, there's about 100 gigs of free space available, I don't need backups because there's nothing I care about losing, and I don't have mackeeper or cleanmymac installed. I'm mainly a windows guy, I only have this mac laptop for school that I was attending a few years back and I'm only just recently wanting to use it again, hence why it's so out of date and stuff.

I would like to update to OS 10.8 or higher for an application I'd like to run that's not allowing me to, since 10.8 is the minimum requirement.

I installed the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 that Cory Cooper linked, and after that installed I tried letting my mac do its software update again, and it keeps getting hung up at the same spot. Once it tells me the laptop needs to restart to install the updates, it loads to a space background screen and just sits there forever not doing anything until I force my laptop to restart.

I don't know if I'll have to manually do every update one by one or what, but clicking the apple icon at the top left and selecting Software Update isn't doing the trick, it just keeps getting my computer hung up trying to install it.

Thank you for your continued help!

Glad you got your issue resolved. However, it is unknown wether or not you could still have disk/software issues. It would thus be prudent if you start performing 1) backups to an external device, and 2) "periodic" disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have similar issue - have 10.8.5 and tried to install EC - downloads fine but when installing I get the spinning beachball
as soon as I type the first letter in password box - also tried to uninstall Flash Player and get the ball, so I can't do anything - ran disc check which was clean. So frustrating!

Understand your frustration, but it is best to get prepared before doing such an update. And, yours is a rather "major" one, as you are "jumping" two OS upgrades to get to El Capitan.

Most of the questions I posed above to Asthuran apply to your situation. Also, when you says "ran disc check", I assume that means you used Disk Utility, but to have it do an effective job, it needs to run "externally". That is where a backup/clone done by either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is the way to go.

Also, did you use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions for the "stuff" on your internal drive, both at the Volume (ie, top) and Partition (ie, next level down) levels? That would be good, especially if you have either never done it, or if it has been a while?

So, do you have any kind of backup to an external device? Again, Time Machine is OK, but either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is better.

Reaction score
Understand your frustration, but it is best to get prepared before doing such an update. And, yours is a rather "major" one, as you are "jumping" two OS upgrades to get to El Capitan.

Most of the questions I posed above to Asthuran apply to your situation. Also, when you says "ran disc check", I assume that means you used Disk Utility, but to have it do an effective job, it needs to run "externally". That is where a backup/clone done by either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is the way to go.

Also, did you use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions for the "stuff" on your internal drive, both at the Volume (ie, top) and Partition (ie, next level down) levels? That would be good, especially if you have either never done it, or if it has been a while?

So, do you have any kind of backup to an external device? Again, Time Machine is OK, but either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is better.

Reaction score
I do not have an external so I will do as you suggest - when I opened and held command R I waited some minutes b4 the disk utility opened and tried the repair and verify with no success. I assume I cannot go to leopard as an option? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Well, at least you were able to get to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition via the Command+R command. But, when you say "the disk utility opened and tried the repair and verify with no success", what did it tell you? If your internal drive is bad, you will first ned to get stuff off of it, and then replace it. As for going back to Leopard, I'm unsure about that, as I've never needed to "retreat" to a prior version of the OS.

Reaction score
Entered disc utility again and get "Partition map seems to be okay in Hitachi msg - Mac HD 'appears okay' and no access for repair on Mac OS X base system. No change on restart - still cannon install EC, Cannot uninstallFlash & no access to Safari due to not finding 'html'. (I run Chrome as browser) I could not find SuperDuper or Carbon in app store.

Reaction score
I installed 'Disk Diet' which did no good - ironic that most apps that clean disk require EC 10.10 to install!

Reaction score
You will not find either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner in the App store. You need to purchase those on your own.

Not familiar with Disk Diet. Also, EC is OS 10.11, not 10.10. 10.10 is Yosemite.

A much better, venerable, well-reviewed, and stable product is the excellent freeware program Onyx. You can get it form here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Note than there are multiple versions, depending on the OS you have. Also, the "Repair Permissions" feature is no longer available in the version of Disk Utility that comes with El Capitan, but it is available in Onyx.

You need to realize that products like Onyx and Disk Diet, for the most part, provide disk cleanup features. But, ones like Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, and TechTool Pro are useful for maintaining and repairing drives.

Reaction score
Thanks again - downloaded Onyx but Finder won't open because the app wasn't purchased from the Apple store - same on Utility folder - I deleted all the .plist files except the Canon printer file (wouldn't let me) cannot delete Flash Player as I get the spinning ball immediately, cannot install EL as I get the ball also. And get error 102 on update to 10.8.5 - got error 128 one time...
Geoff

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the "issue" you had with Onyx is the case for a number of good to excellent applications. What you need to do is go to the System Preferences, click on "Security & Privacy". Towards the bottom of the screen there is a section entitled "Allow apps downloaded from:". I suspect on your screen, the "Mac App Store" is the one selected. Click on the Lock Icon, it will subsequently ask for your administrator password. After entering it, you should change that earlier choice to "Mac app store and identified developers". If that does not work, change it to the last choice. After opening Onyx and installing it, go back to that screen and change the choice back to "Mac App Store".

Don't know what you mean by "same on Utility folder". What "Utility" folder are you talking about?

About your errors related to OS "installs/upgrades", I still suspect there are issues with your internal drive. Again, though, any "extensive diagnosis/repairs" you attempt to perform on that drive will be risky, as you do not have a backup.

Reaction score
Setting was for Mac & Identified so I have changed to the last & will try it in a moment - the Utiltity was by hitting cmmd/space which took me to the verify/repair disk options

Reaction score
Still won't let me open it because Finder not opening up - Think I'll just give up - I've spent hours trying to get the update and EC - I am a windows convert so Mac is so new to me, although I much prefer Apple.
I really appreciate your efforts.

Reaction score
It looks you need a way to have your Mac "booted" in Target Disk Mode, so that another Mac, with the right "tools", can effectively analyze your machine, and especially your internal drive. If I was close to you, I could do it. But alas, I suspect that is not possible.

Also, if you had a bootable backup/clone on an external drive created by either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, then you could do quite a lot on your own. I use SuperDuper! to create two bootable backups/clones on two different external drives every week (part of my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks, along with daily disk cleanup), and I can tell you that there have been at least two times where having such a backup "saved my bacon", per se. Also, it is an excellent way to prepare for an Apple OS upgrade. I will certainly be prepared for OS 10.12, Sierra, when it becomes available in the fall. I also do some other preparatory tasks, and that includes making sure that 5 critical applications for me will be able to run under the new OS. Sometimes that means waiting to upgrade, but that's fine with me.

Ask a Question