Mac Pro A1502

Reaction score
Hi -
I have a no boot problem I cannot solve. The chime will go off, the screen stays black, common problem I have fixed before but this one is different. If I hold in the shift key the system will come all the way up to the login, until I let go to type the login pw, then off it goes. So I figured it was the logic board, nope. Same effect. Next, I put a new blade drive in, press and held command + R for recovery, great, up it came to pick a network. Let go of the command and recovery, down for the count. So at this point I am tired of guessing and investing and I need some ideas. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Whenever I have replaced a blade drive in a MacBook Pro the drive isnt recognized until the PRAM is zapped. Command Option P R

Reaction score
I thought I did, but at this point I am desperate. I will hit it again and post back thank you.

Reaction score
Nope, no luv , did the PRAM, then did the Command + R, begins to slide a bar over until I let off the keys then screen goes off. This is wild I have never had a problem like this before.
*Edit tried it a second time, recovery mode came up until it came time to let me type in password for recovery network, when I let go of CMD+R lights out
:oops:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Next thing to try is to reset the SMC on your MacBook Pro.

To do this...
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • After 5 seconds release all the keys including the power button at the same time. (Note: the LED might change colors)
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer and sorry for the delay, I am buried in work. I tried your procedure, I got the chime, and a black screen, nothing more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the new blade drive compatible with your model of Mac? It is possible that you have the wrong blade drive installed.

Reaction score
Almost completely identical (The one ending in AO2 is the original) and as long as I hold shift down it will make it all the way to the login screen no problem at all until I let go of shift.

Attachments

• RAMrs.jpg
    RAMrs.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this terminal command:

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

Type in your password and press return. Let us know.

Ask a Question