Mac OS X re-installation bug

Reaction score
Here is my problem:

Two days ago, I noticed my Macbook Pro 13" (bought it last summer) was running slower than usual; the day after, it was jammed so hard that I had to reboot it. Then I got this bug where it is stuck to the white loading screen with the grey apple logo and the gear turning under it. I tried running the safe mode and resetting the PRAM but both failed to get it working. Then I put the installer CD in and held the C key to re-install Mac OS X (with Snow Leopard). The installation began with an estimated time of 47 minutes and is still running hours after, displaying "- 5 hours and 3 minutes remaining".
(The thing is, my last back up goes back to three months, and I would prefer to keep my files if possible).

Should I cancel the installation and try once more?

Reaction score
If you've filled the Harddrive trying to reinstall OSX will just make this way worse.

If you have another Mac around I stop this installation link it to the other Mac via FireWire start it in Target mode (start with the T key down) then go in via the other Mac and rescue your files.

Reaction score
By "filling the harddrive" do you mean if it were completely full? (because it's not...)

And isn't Snow Leopard in later versions supposed to use automatically the "Archive and Install" mode? (since no options were given me when I inserted the CD and held "C")

And unfortunately, I don't have any other Mac around... :S

Ask a Question