Mac Sierra Installation Help

Reaction score
So recently I decided to finally upgrade my mac to sierra as it was at 10.9 (I think) and I need version 10.10 for a game I installed to work. I download sierra (which took a few hours) and finally got the part where my mac would restart to install the program. The problem is I'm stuck at the 'Installing: About 33 minutes remaining- Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining.'

Should I just wait it out or is there any other method to fix this. I've waited at least 10 minutes and still at 33 minutes. I've tried closing my mac and re-opening it (first by holding the power button on the side then taking out the cord at the back), but both times the installation simply re-starts from the beginning. I'm kind of desperate to use my mac asap so I'm willing to cancel the installation if that's somehow possible.

Will really appreciate any help here!

Reaction score
Need to know the following:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. You stated "I need version 10.10 for a game I installed to work", but Sierra is Version 10.12.3 (most recent one) I assume you mean OS 10.12.3.

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs (from a software perspective)? For disk cleanup, you can do some on your own. Also, there are some excellent freeware and commercial tools to help you with that.

4. Are you making any backups to an external device? That is critical.

5. If you are using any third party software, there is a good chance you'll need to upgrade some of it (maybe all?) to be compatible with Sierra.

As for taking a while, that could depend on a number of factors: lack of disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, speed of your internal drive, amount of free space on the drive, etc. As it is, you are definitely taking quite a "leap" from OS 10.9 (assuming that is what you have) to OS 10.12.3. And not sure about cancelling the upgrade, as it is unknown how far along that upgrade has progressed.

By the way, what device are you using to make your posts here?

Ask a Question