Mac OS X 10.10.x to 10.11.x update issues -_-

Reaction score
Hello!
I download Xcode 8 to use with my Mac, then I tried to update my Mac to 10.11. Unfortunately, when I went to El Capitan in the App Store, it said "This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer." I am currently downloading the .app installer and I will try to make that into a bootable disk/drive. Will this work? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks! :) I am on version 10.10.5.

Reaction score
Need some things answered:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. Are you making any backups to an external device? And if so, what software are you using?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

4. What exactly do you mean by "I am currently downloading the .app installer", and where are you getting it from?

5. Do you have any third party software on your machine? If you do, you need to insure that each one is compatible with El Capitan (I assume OS 10.11.6). If not, you'll need to update/upgrade some/all of them.

It would be best if you do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of El Capitan, versus an "upgrade in place". To do that, a backup is mandatory.

Ask a Question