Update an old iMac?

Reaction score
I bought an iMac from a friend, an early 2008 24 inch model which has an 2.8Ghz intel core 2 duo processor and 2GB of RAM - my question is whether it’s worth trying to upgrade it by increasing the RAM to the max possible and improving the hard drive. Any suggestions or comments would be gratefully received..

Reaction score
While upgrading the Ram and the hard drive (preferably to an SSD) is normally a good move, the issue is that given how old your iMac is, "newer" versions of the Mac OS cannot be used on it. For example, High Sierra can be installed on iMacs that are late 2009 models or later. For your model, the maximum Mac OS that can be installed on it is OS 10.11.6, El Capitan. Thus, you are already 2 versions of the Mac OS behind, and soon that will be 3, as OS 10.14, Mojave, will be released in the fall.

Reaction score
While upgrading the Ram and the hard drive (preferably to an SSD) is normally a good move, the issue is that given how old your iMac is, "newer" versions of the Mac OS cannot be used on it. For example, High Sierra can be installed on iMacs that are late 2009 models or later. For your model, the maximum Mac OS that can be installed on it is OS 10.11.6, El Capitan. Thus, you are already 2 versions of the Mac OS behind, and soon that will be 3, as OS 10.14, Mojave, will be released in the fall.
Many thanks for your reply, definitely food for thought! I plan to use the iMac for photoshop primarily so will the OS version make a huge difference? Sorry if it’s a stupid question but I’m new to concept of using anything other than the classic windows laptop..

Reaction score
No question is stupid around here! In fact, even though I have been using Macs since 1996, I also ask some basic questions.

In any event, I don't know the situation with Adobe Photoshop and more recent versions of the Mac OS. But you could be risking the lack of security upgrades for both older version of the Mac OS (including Apple-only apps), along with any third party software you use (like Adobe Photoshop).

Ask a Question