Update folders won't leave

Reaction score
Intel iMac with Panther. When I install upgrades to applications, the installer puts a folder on the desktop. I can't get rid of them. I've closed the application, ejected everywhere I can find a version of it, but it refuses to be trashed. If I put them into a desktop folder, they appear but still stay on the desktop. What am I missing?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
That's the strangest thing I think I've ever heard!

Can you post a screenshot Bob? Just think I need one to help me get my head around this one ...

Reaction score
Picture 1.png
I used "Manage Attachments" to upload the .png screenshot, but I don't know whether it's worked.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 328

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Where can I see those folders that refuse to leave? Whereabouts on your desktop are they ... that screenshot is a tad small .... it's 620 x 388 and probably needs to be 800 x 600.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you tried dragging those volume icons towards the Trash, which should turn into an eject icon, which in turn will or should eject the mounted volume.

Reaction score
Yes. Dragged to trash, Cmnd-←, Cmnd-E, In Finder Folder Devices clicking⏏, deleting items in their folders, ... At the moment I'm securely emptying trash to see if that makes a difference.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Tried to eject using Disc Utility? You said you were running Panther 10.3.x ? Is this correct? It's not Leopard 10.5 is it? Sorry but I gotta ask as this is a strange issue.

If you have an intel Mac then you wouldn't be able to run Panther .... it's for PPCs

Bob, have you run those apps from the mounted volume and they are still active? This could be a possible as to why they wont unmount. Or did you install them to your Apps folder?

Reaction score
Whoops! I meant Leopard 5.1. Sorry.
I installed all the apps, but quit them (checking in Force Quit to make sure) before trying to get rid of their icons on Desktop. I've just done it again with OnyX 1.9.0b1, with the same result. They're there in every Space as well.

When I open the Desktop folders and try to trash the items in them they won't go (Error code -61).

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Error -61 is Permission related, so check the Permissions in the Get Info window for the file/s

Reaction score
Sharing & Permissions: "You can only read".
Me is "Read & Write"; Ignore ownership on this volume is ticked, and the folder is locked. However, all this bit is greyed out, so I can't unlock it to change permissions.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
We might be getting close to the heart of this problem of yours Bob :)

When you say the folder is locked do you mean the same as my pic where there's a padlock?

I'm still on Tiger so I don't know if my Get Info ~> Ownership & Permissions section looks the same as it would for you in Leopard.

20071224-1nrhwhy7fyrtfky4cy2uxhe9dp.jpg

Reaction score
I just did a restart to install Apple software updates, and the desktop and Devices have been cleaned of the folders.
I've also unstuffed and installed MathMagicPersonal, quit it and successfully ejected the desktop folder.
So I've no idea what all that outstaying their welcome was all about.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Phew!! There was some kind of permissions conflict goin' on, Bob, but I'm glad the Software Update seems to have fixed things.

Reaction score
I just did a restart to install Apple software updates, and the desktop and Devices have been cleaned of the folders.
I've also unstuffed and installed MathMagicPersonal, quit it and successfully ejected the desktop folder.
So I've no idea what all that outstaying their welcome was all about.
Hello, out of curiosity, was this the first time you restarted your Mac since you had your problem? If so, that's what did the trick. I've never seen volumes hang around after a reboot.

Reaction score
I've restarted several times. I don't remember when the problem started. I think I must have successfully deleted some update folders, probably Camino and others. Maybe the glitch only occurred between the last two restarts, but what could have caused it I can't imagine.
I've had another "won't go" issue: In Mail 2 early received emails stubbornly survive all attempts to eliminate them from an account inbox. All other items behave normally, staying, going, being archived or junked as required.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I *think* Leopard has had some 'mount' issues which have hopefully been rectified in a recent update. I saw this somewhere but can't recall exactly where .... it was while I was trying to find info on this weird issue.

Bob, have you had any further issues of this kind since the update you did yesterday (my time)?

BTW, Merry <celebration of your choice here>...........</choice> Everyone!!:)

Reaction score
I *think* Leopard has had some 'mount' issues which have hopefully been rectified in a recent update. I saw this somewhere but can't recall exactly where .... it was while I was trying to find info on this weird issue.

Bob, have you had any further issues of this kind since the update you did yesterday (my time)?

BTW, Merry <celebration of your choice here>...........</choice> Everyone!!:)
From what I hear, Leopard has more than "mount" issues. I think that I'll stick to Tiger for a while. :)

Ask a Question