Update folders won't leave

Reaction score
No further problems since the last restart - that was what the MathMagicPersonal experiment was for. Incidentally, I don't think it was the updates that did it - they were of Quicktime and Panther Security - more likely it was just the restart which often seems to clear out rogue "dysfunctionalities". It just occurred to me that I'd put MathMagicPersonal on my machine before the restart, so I copied an app. from a MacWorld CD, installed, and got rid OK.
My first attempt at this experiment failed. I tried to install MindMap 4.5 from the disk but was thwarted. Nowhere on the CD documentation, nor on the developer's website could I find specifications for v.4.5, indeed there was no reference to it, nor was there a search function. Eventually on a forum on the site I saw mention of 5.2 being Leopard-ready. So 4.5 was Tiger-only. "Organise your thoughts with this superb planning tool" - no good if some (forethoughts) have gone missing. An example of instructional stupidification where you're led to think you're thick because of defects in instructional communications - you get it assembly instructions for flat-pack furniture or electronic devices as well. [dunrantin']
I don't think it's much to do with these recent problems, but I had a bad time moving from G4 Tiger to iMac Leopard. I firewired up the two as instructed but it broke the system. I had to reinstall Leopard from the disks. Using Migration Assistant didn't work either, and I've had to manually carry over the settings with mixed success. I think my G4 has been going progressively more insane over the last few years. Maybe it was catching.

Maybe it has infected the iMac: Finder Preferences have just spontaneously changed so that the sidebar doesn't show on new windows, even though the Preference settings remain the same. And connection has been lost with the external HD. I'll try another restart.

Reaction score
No further problems since the last restart - that was what the MathMagicPersonal experiment was for. Incidentally, I don't think it was the updates that did it - they were of Quicktime and Panther Security - more likely it was just the restart which often seems to clear out rogue "dysfunctionalities". It just occurred to me that I'd put MathMagicPersonal on my machine before the restart, so I copied an app. from a MacWorld CD, installed, and got rid OK.
My first attempt at this experiment failed. I tried to install MindMap 4.5 from the disk but was thwarted. Nowhere on the CD documentation, nor on the developer's website could I find specifications for v.4.5, indeed there was no reference to it, nor was there a search function. Eventually on a forum on the site I saw mention of 5.2 being Leopard-ready. So 4.5 was Tiger-only. "Organise your thoughts with this superb planning tool" - no good if some (forethoughts) have gone missing. An example of instructional stupidification where you're led to think you're thick because of defects in instructional communications - you get it assembly instructions for flat-pack furniture or electronic devices as well. [dunrantin']
I don't think it's much to do with these recent problems, but I had a bad time moving from G4 Tiger to iMac Leopard. I firewired up the two as instructed but it broke the system. I had to reinstall Leopard from the disks. Using Migration Assistant didn't work either, and I've had to manually carry over the settings with mixed success. I think my G4 has been going progressively more insane over the last few years. Maybe it was catching.

Maybe it has infected the iMac: Finder Preferences have just spontaneously changed so that the sidebar doesn't show on new windows, even though the Preference settings remain the same. And connection has been lost with the external HD. I'll try another restart.
Just in case you have to reinstall Leopard, I suggest backing up all your data in the mean time. Which reminds me, I should back up my own data. It's been over a month since my last backup! :eek:

Reaction score
Restart has reconnected the external HD as Time Machine Backups, which are all there from 14th December..
Old windows have the Sidebar, new ones don't. They just have MacIntosh HD, Network, and Time Machine Backups. When I open a folder from MacIntosh HD it doesn't have a sidebar. When I open the desktop icon for MacIntosh HD, it has a sidebar. I can't make any sense of it - maybe I've been terminally stupidified.

Reaction score
Sidebar: click the oval in the top right hand corner to restore it. But why did it go from new windows?

Ask a Question