SOLVED Mac os required download missing when trying to reinstall

Reaction score
I am new to Imacs and have bought a mid 2011 21.5 inch imac. It starts up but instead of loading the OS, it goes to the recovery utilities. When I try to reinstall the OS i get a “required download missing” message. I have also tried this while starting up using the command R. It does the same thing. What do I need to do? All help appreciated!

Tim
Iphone X
Ipad 8th generation
Imac mid 2011, 500 gb hd, 4 gb ram

Reaction score
What version of macOS is Recovery offering to install on your iMac? Your model came with Snow Leopard but it can be upgraded to High Sierra. If Recovery is trying to install something newer, that’s probably the reason for the error message. In other words, High Sierra may not be available for download from Apple’s Recovery servers anymore.

If you know someone with a working Mac, you can have them download High Sierra from:

Now if you can’t boot the iMac so you can properly log in, you may have to connect it to the other Mac and start your Mac in Target Disk Mode (hold down the T key on startup) and connect the two with Firewire. The iMac will appear as an external drive to the host Mac. You can then install High Sierra from the good Mac to your iMac.

Reaction score
Thank you Tony for your reply. It was trying to install a newer os and that was causing the error. I pressed control, option, S and it went to the recovery page to reinstall Lion. It worked like a charm! My Imac os is being installedas we speak!

Thanks again!

Tim

Reaction score
Congratulations, Tim! Now you can go to that link I posted if you want to download installers for later versions of the system. Keep in mind that your iMac model will only go up to OS X 10.13 “High Sierra.” I’m not sure if Apple will still issue security updates for High Sierra, but I’m pretty sure that Lion is no longer supported.

Ask a Question