New to Macs - help required

Reaction score
Hi, my first thread here so hello to everyone,
My wife has been given a Macbook Pro (running El Capitan 10.1.6, 17 inch, model i.d. 5,2 mid 2009). It was bought by my late Father-in-law and used by my Mother-in-law but she has just upgraded to a different Mac. It has all of my Father-in-laws information, or rather his email address is embedded in it and also the Apple ID is his as well. I am totally new to Macs and hardly a wizard on PC's, but I can get by with ours.

I don't want to wipe everything with a system restore type thing, because my Mother-in-law has left some data and photographs on the Macbook which we don't want to lose. Also we are having problems with getting my wife's Hotmail account linked, which seems to be fairly common, but I've tried a couple of fixes and they don't work.

I would be massively grateful for any assistance with this - bear in mind I suppose I'm not classified as a 'Senior' person so nothing too technical would be a bonus.

Thanks very much

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You can simply create another user account on the Mac, to use with your accounts and information. That would leave the Father-in-law's account intact, and capable of being accessed. You would need to know his password to login to that account on the Mac.

This article should work for El Capitan as well: Set up users, guests, and groups

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory,

Apologies for the late response, I've only just caught up with this.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question