Macbook Pro Help Urgently Required

Reaction score
Hi All

Firstly this site looks a really good source of information so I hope someone can help me.

I recently purchased a mac book pro (17inch screen) with windows XP upon it. After removing windows and finally accquring the MAC OS X V10.4 today i stuck it into the DVD drive.

Everything booted up fine and then i got error message "cannot install software on this computer" , i was like :eek:

Had a search around on the forums on the net and it has been suggested that I have to buy specific software for the MacBook , as in get replacements of the discs that actually came with the macbook at time of purchase.

Please some1 tell me this isnt true and there is something i can do?

Cheers

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

It sounds like the DVD (OS X 10.4) you have bought is for PowerPC macs only...

Is it the retail version ?

Does it have a part number on it ?

Did the MacBook not come with any install disks ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Unfortunately it didnt, hence i got it so cheap, it just came boxed with charger and windows already installed. I purchased some install discs from ebay, after asking the lady will it 100% work on my mac book.

The install discs have Disc version 1.0 on them

2Z691-5788-A on disc 1
2Z691-5796-A on disc 2

I also have read somewhere that you cant actually buy an intel version of the discs or something and have to speak to apple ?!!!!

I spoke to a macbook "doctor" earlier today though who assured me that he would be able to get an OS onto my computer as he has them all.

He did mention that i might not have formatted it properly to allow installation of Mac software?

Thanks for your help Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

You can give Apple a call and explain that your OS disks are damaged and would they send you a copy...they may charge you a small admin fee, but have been known to give them for free !

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

I'm sure a Mac 'Doctor' possibly has all the install disks...but if he installs it then it will be an illegal copy...

Plus if you ever have problems you won't have the OS disks...

Give Apple a call, explain that you bought the Mac secondhand but the OS disks were damaged...and see what they say !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
ok right update on the situation

i bought some "intel software", the one on the link above, i put it into the drive and booted on. flashing folder came up, read a few places and reset the pram. any ideas on what im doing wrong?

cheers

Ask a Question