Mac Mini- Safari and iTunes won't connect... HELP

Reaction score
Hi- found the p-list files but it wasn't obvious which were connected to safari and which weren't? So didn't know which to delete... so didn't delete any just in case.

Have to go to bed shortly as have an early start- but really appreciate your help, sorry I'm not that good with all this!

Suzie

Hi Suzie, the Safari .plist files will have Safari in the title somewhere. Usually deleting a .plist file relating to a problem program sorts the issue out nine times out of ten.

Reaction score
Sorry to be thick- I can't seem to find my way back to where the web proxy box is... I am knackered, sorry

Reaction score
Hi Suzie, take a deep breath and don't let this frustrate you. If the worst comes to the worst we can always walk you through a new install. :)

As you are very tired, I would suggest leaving this for now, and getting yourself some good sleep - trying to sort a problem out is hard enough, but when you're tired it is not advisable.

I will probably be online again tomorrow night, or Ric or one of the others may be around to offer advice too, so do not worry, you will get it sorted one way or another :)

Reaction score
Thanks, I think you're right:)

Will have another go tomorrow evening!

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it:)

Suzie

Reaction score
Hello ... I'm currently suffering with the exact same problem as Suzo in 2006. Followed each and every instruction proposed by Kyomii - and no joy! I have taken the liberty of creating a new user - no joy! At my wits end? Any help? Kyomii? Suzo?

Reaction score
Hi Paul, as I did mention to Suzy before, this is most likely to be a web proxy problem because Firefox ignores the settings in network, whereas ITunes and Safari don't.

I am assuming the proxy worked for Suzy, because she didn't actually uncheck the proxy settings until the day after, and then she never came back.

Please see what proxies are listed in your network settings. Check and see if Firefox is using proxies and see if Safari is using them.

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii- and also Paul- the good news this end, was that the problem resolved itself- as I hope yours does Paul as I know how bloody annoying it is! The odd thing was I was about to attempt deleting some of those files myself, when I discovered that somebody at work knew quite a bit about Macs too- he said to bring it in and he would take a look... to cut a long story short, as I was about to do that, the safari iTunes / software update all literally just started working again?!!

I didn't actually do anything extra, apart from trying out all the excellent advice offered on here, for which I am still really grateful.

So sorry Paul- unfortunately I don't even know how the problem righted itself... extremely odd.

But Kyomii is right, it HAD to be a web proxy problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that the NTL server went down a couple of times, and I had to follow instructions / input info at the time, don't know if that was what buggered it... just wish I knew more about these damn clever machines!

Suzo xx

Reaction score
Ack. I am having the same problem! I did everything suggested so far and I still get the message "Safari could not open the page “http://news.google.com/” because the server stopped responding" and "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection timed out". But Firefox and Entourage work fine, and I haven't downloaded any recently either.

When I click on Network Settings, it says the ethernet is fine, but it says, "Airport is connected to the network linksys. AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet."

Reaction score
I am having the same problems as well. Was anyone able to resolve these issues or did the problem just go away? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Sam,

I unplugged the power cord for my internet and wireless router, as suggested by my internet company. Then I had my computer reconfigure it's ethernet/airport settings...there's a setup wizard that will do this for you, if your wireless is password protected, you'll need the password. It gave me a new IP address when I did this. Everything was fine afterwards, so I think something buggy just happened...but the computer basically fixed itself. It might work for you.

Finder>System Prefs>Network>Airport>Assist Me>Assistant

Reaction score
Anyone been bitten by the demon of confusion as to safari's inability to connect to the internet?:confused:
I have found the light!

My "safari couldn't connect to server" but after going through every single possible way of fixing it , I fixed it.

Here's what I did. I went to my utilities folder and opened disk utility. I clicked repair disk permissions. (don't need to verify afterwards)

Then go to system preferences (from the apple icon drop-down window)
Go to your ethernet connection (or airport) and have a look at your proxies, one of your applications or some update seems to have enabled a proxy on my mac anyway.
If there is a proxy ticked, uncheck it.
Your safari should work fine now.
Also because safari is a core app, it was the cause of itunes/software update/google earth from working.
Happy searching and, Enjoy!:D

If by any chance this didn't work for you:( please say so and I will get back to you A.S.A.P

Reaction score
Hi Mac Wizard-

Posted a new thread on another part of this forum... but thought I'd try and dig up this old thread I started! This is what I posted...

"Safari- suddenly won't load / iTunes store / software update
Hi, I use safari and firefox, but a while back just SAFARI stopped working, when you click on it this comes up

http://cache-removal.virginmedia.com//

and it just gives you lots of PC-friendly info as to what to do next...?

Firefox is working as normal, as is Entourage, but have noticed that when you click software update, it says

"A networking error has occurred: error NSURL error domain -1100"

Also iTunes store won't load.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

HELP I AM USELESS"

I had some good advice on there to type some info into the "terminal"- which I haven't done yet as I am loathe to bugger the computer up by typing something in the wrong place...:eek:

Firefox, entourage are working ok, don't want to lose those connections!

Will your previous post help my safari / iTunes / software update problems?

Thanks so much if you or anybody can help me!

Reaction score
Hi again! Didn't dare do the repair disk permissions... but managed to uncheck a proxy box (?) - although do not understand what it is... and now safari works!

Glad I remembered I had posted this original thread all that time back as I couldn't remember what to do!

:) Suzo

Reaction score
Hi again! Didn't dare do the repair disk permissions... but managed to uncheck a proxy box (?) - although do not understand what it is... and now safari works!

Glad I remembered I had posted this original thread all that time back as I couldn't remember what to do!

:) Suzo
Hi Suzo, by all means don't be scared about repairing disc permissions. In fact, if you don't repair disc permissions from time to time, especially after installing apps or receiving Mac updates, your Mac may not run very well as a result.;)

Reaction score
Walrus666- will build up the courage to follow MacWizard's instructions then... it may take some time! lol

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem: since upgrading to the latest version of iTunes, I can't connect to the iTunes store. (My Safari is fine, though, as are all other internet connections.)

When I try to connect to the iTunes store, I get the error message: iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again.

I have tried turning on iTunes music sharing, and I have also tried turning off my firewall, but these have had no effect. I don't have anything checked under the services tab. Under Network, I connect via DHCP, and I don't have PPPoE checked, nor any proxies.

I am using OSX 10.3.9 and iTunes 7.3.2.(6).

Reaction score
hi.everyone.ignore.the.fact.i.cant.use.spaces.bit.of.an.accident.re.my.little.brother.
and.milk.landing.on.the.space.bar!!

but.more.to.the.point.its.the.proxy.thing.that.fixes.it.i.unticked
.the.proxy.and.straight.away.my.safari.worked.and.a.few.minutes.later.itunes
.worked.again.aswell!!!!!!!!

im.so.happy.its.been.broken.for.monthes.and.today.i.decided.i.wouldnt.rest.till.
i.fixed.it!!!

to.quote.mac.wizard's.advice.above.in.case.anyone.missed.it,this.is.how.
you.do.it:

go to system preferences (from the apple icon drop-down window)
Go to your ethernet connection (or airport) and have a look at your proxies, one of your applications or some update seems to have enabled a proxy on my mac anyway.
If there is a proxy ticked, uncheck it.
Your safari should work fine now.
Also because safari is a core app, it was the cause of itunes/software update/google earth from working.

thanks.everyone!!

Ask a Question