Mac Mini- Safari and iTunes won't connect... HELP

Reaction score
Hi, just looking for advice... I am no expert with computers by any means... so when they don't do as they are supposed to I don't like to delve too deep and end up clicking the wrong thing!

On my Mac Mini, I originally used Safari, but recently we also had Firefox on as some websites didn't seem to like Safari- like Myspace.

Two days ago I clicked on Safari as normal, and it won't load. I have tried it many times, but nothing. I am also not able to update software due to some connection problem? I have no idea what you do to check settings etc, I am fairly new to Mac...

Also now iTunes store won't let me connect, am wondering if something has been clicked without me realising?

Firefox and Entourage are both working okay though, we have NTL cable/broadband. I don't understand why it will connect to that but not the other ones?

Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it :)

Thank you- Suzie

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Suzie and welcome !

When you launch Safari or iTunes do they give you any sort of error message ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric!

When I load Firefox and Entourage everything works fine, but when I load Safari the page just remains completely blank- eventually a message comes up saying about the network connection timing out- and with iTunes the same thing happens when I try to go to the store. Also same thing with the update software.

Thanks for helping me!

Suzie

Reaction score
Hi Suzo, launch Safari and then click on the word "Safari" at the top left - then click "reset Safari"

Safari will close down again and relaunch. When it does, go to preferences (click on the word Safari at the top again) and then, in the preference pane, click "general" at the top left.

Change the homepage to something like http://www.google.com. Now close and relaunch Safari - does it time out now?

Let me know what happens, because I am also interested to see if there are any proxies set up in Safari after you have tried the above :)

Reaction score
Hi there Kyomii, thanks for your help.

I tried what you suggested, but it still won't open. The screen just stays blank, the new homepage (google.com) comes up in the address bar, but the blue line won't load... :(

Reaction score
Think I forgot to say I use Tiger 10.4 on a Mac Mini.

The iTunes error message reads:

"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network connection timed out.
Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

Any ideas how I do this?

Like I said Firefox and Entourage are working fine.... this is so frustrating!

Reaction score
Have you got PPoe checked by any chance? You will find this in system preferences under network.

Also if you look at Safari preferences, have you any proxies set up?

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii- Had a look in System Preferences, but no PPoe wasn't checked..?

I had another look in Safari preferences... but don't know what you mean by proxies set up? Couldn't see that anywhere... sorry but am not very knowledgeable about macs! (As is more than obvious no doubt :eek:!

Thanks Suzie

Reaction score
It could be a firewall issue. Go to system preferences, then click "sharing", then cllick "firewall" Is anything ticked or unticked under the firewall list, and is your firewall active?

You should find "itunes music sharing" in the firewall list, make sure this is ticked IF your firewall is showing as be on. If safari is in the list, also tick Safari IF the firewall is on.

Failing that, you need to create a new user account, or log on in a different account name if there is more than one account on your computer. if you need to create a new user account, then try the following:

Go to System Preferences and click on Accounts

On the left side of the window you should see a list of the accounts on your computer; click the lock on the bottom left of the window and enter your password so you can make changes

Click the "+" symbol below the list of users

Name the user whatever you want and make sure you click the "Allow user to adminiter this computer" button

When that's done, click "OK" and you'll see your new user in the list. Now restart your system and sign in under the NEW user name that you have just created when the login screen appears

Once logged on, try opening iTunes and see if it works. Also, try opening Safari and see if it works. If both work under your new username then the problem is corrupt data related to the account that harbours your old username.

If neither work, then it is an actual OSX issue and we can then go through all your network settings.

Reaction score
Kyomii- thanks again. Did all as you said, checked the firewall stuff (except safari wasn't in the list, but iTunes was checked and the firewallw was on) but the same problem was there with loading safari and iTunes store under the new log in.

Sorry to be a pain, but would appreciate it if you can help further re checking network settings?

Suzie

Reaction score
Meant to say- why is it that Firefox (1.5) and Entourage work ok, but not safari, the software updates or iTunes library?

If only I knew the answer...:confused:

Suzie:(

Reaction score
Hi Suzie, if the new user account did not work, then it is definately an OS/network issue.

Have you tried repairing permissions?

Are you absolutely sure that the "connect using PPOE" tab is not checked under the network settings? This would explain a lot!

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii- tried the other day repairing permissions- but could you tell me exactly what to do again in case I clicked the wrong thing somewhere?

Connect using PPOE is definitely NOT checked as well. The screen looks just like the one you posted.

Under proxies by the way, the only ticked box is where it says "web proxy (HTTP)."
It's cable broadband access btw.

I don't even pretend to know what a proxy is by the way!:eek:

Thanks

Reaction score
Try unticking web proxy and then see what happens. Are the web proxy settings set to Manual?

Repairing permissions:

Go to Finder, >applications > utilities and choose Disk Utility. Select the drive you want to repair from the list on the left

Click on the First Aid tab, which should be selected by default. Now click “Repair Disk."

I must admit it is a strange on is this, but it sounds like it is down to a setting somewhere.

Just out of interest, have you any P2P software on your system? A few people who have had this kind of problem have found that it has been related to P2P related software.

Have you installed or deleted any sofware recently?

Disable the firewall completely and see if these programs connect then.

It is possible that a program has caused the issue you are having (such as a P2P program). This would also exlain why firefox is working because the programs that cannot connect, all come on your machine as standard, whereas Firefox has to be downloaded and installed by you.

Therfore at some stage I am assuming that Safari worked. If this is so, then please try to remember ANY program you installed or deleted before you even installed or used Firefox.

Also, find the preference files [SIZE=-1](.plist files) [/SIZE]for Safari and itunes and delete them. As it is affecting all users of your system, you will need to delete them from the system account rather than user account home folder.

To do this get finder up and click on your hard drive. Go to the library folder, and then go to the preferences folder. Now find the plist files relating to Safari first of all and delete those.

Now click the home folder on the left of the finder pane and go to library and find the preferences folder there and do the same for safari.

Now try and connect with Safari - if it works then you need to delete the plist files related to itunes. I am not sure about plist files related to software update as I am not on my Mac at the moment (unfortunately), but maybe someone else may be able to clarify if there is any.

Reaction score
Hi again! Tried the repair disk- no change.

If I untick the web proxy box, will this affect firefox? And if so, if I tick it back again after will it bugger the computer up?

Reaction score
Tried the firewall off- no change... no PSP either, and haven't installed or deleted any programs

Reaction score
Hi- found the p-list files but it wasn't obvious which were connected to safari and which weren't? So didn't know which to delete... so didn't delete any just in case.

Have to go to bed shortly as have an early start- but really appreciate your help, sorry I'm not that good with all this!

Suzie

Reaction score
Hi again! Tried the repair disk- no change.

If I untick the web proxy box, will this affect firefox? And if so, if I tick it back again after will it bugger the computer up?

It shouldn't affect firefox, and if it does, just tick it again.

Have you tried deleting the plist files for the programs involved?

Since the only thing you have installed is Firefox, then it could be firefox that is causing the issue.

Ask a Question