Mac mini powers on (with chime), but no video and fan not spinning

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a used 2012 Mac Mini off of eBay. The listing was for a 2012 i5 with 4gb of RAM. I already owned an SSD and 8GB of RAM to upgrade the system. The listing stated that the Mac did not include a hard drive, but works perfectly. After opening the Mac Mini, I quickly realized that this was NOT the i5 version, but is the i7 server edition with the 2.6ghz processor (pleasantly surprised). I successfully installed an SSD, and went to power the computer on and… nothing. The chime sounds, the light on the front lights up, but the fan does not spin, and there is no video signal (I tried both HDMI, and mini-displayport). Wired keyboard IS being recognized (I successfully reset the PRAM, etc), but still no video. I have tested the RAM (on my MacBook Pro 2012), and the RAM is fine. I got a GREAT deal on this Mac ($110 after tax and shipping), so I would like returning it to be my last resort. Does this sound like a bad logic board? Would I be getting the boot chime, and having the keyboard respond if the logic board were bad? Could the CPU be bad? This has integrated graphics, so there is no GPU to fail…. If anyone has any recommendations to solve my problem, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi,

When you installed the new SSD did you transfer the temp sensor/cable from the old hard drive input? Log time since my MM but I thought
that the fan pulled temperatures from many other temp sensors in the mini, just maybe it also requires a reading from the HDD temp sensor as well.

Ask a Question