Mac mini display off and on

Reaction score
My Mac mini is playing up. I can be using it for an hour, or sometimes just 5 mins, and the display turns itself off, then flashes back on and off, then it might stay on for a while but flash off and on again and again.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
First, what exact Mac Mini model do you have (I have one)?

Secondly, what external monitor are you using? Mine is a 19" Sony S93 that I purchased back in 2004.

Third, make sure the connection between the Mini and monitor is not loose.

Finally, what exact Mac OS are you using?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its Model No is A1347 and I'm using a Dell U2414H monitor. All connections have been checked and are tight.

Reaction score
I suppose it could be the monitor...?

I was going t suggest try connecting the monitor to another machine. Also, if you can borrow a working monitor from a fried, etc., connect it to the Mac Mini and see what happens.

Reaction score
Yes thanks, I'll give that a go - if I can find a monitor to connect it to. Strangely at the moment, nothing is going wrong! But it is very much an off an on fault.
If it turns out that it's the Mac at fault have you any ideas what might be causing it and how to fix it?

Reaction score
I guess it is possible for the video "pieces" on the logic board to go bad, but that is a guess on my part.

Reaction score
Just to let you know, I disconnected the leads and reconnected them and it's been fine since! Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question