Mac hard drive recovery question

Reaction score
I am trying to rescue some data for a friend from an old mac desktop. The HD arm is failing. Problem is I have only done this on the PC side. Taking the drive out, I use a transfer cable to connect the drive to my macbook pro. I turn the HD on its side, to assist the arm, and hear it spin up. I am able to see the device on my machine and can run Disk Utility on it and get a report with no errors. At this point, I assume (as long as I do not move the drive, that I will be able to read from it long enough to copy down the data. Here's the problem were I am in unfamiliar territory: I am only able to view the core OS install files on the root of the drive (last look this was a month ago and I have forgotten the file extension, but assume they are the equivalent to .cab files for Windows...)

Question: is this a permission problem I am having? It seems there is a volume folder but I can not access it. How do I go about getting to the users' data? I am hoping that the disk was not baselined or something prior to me getting it and that his data is indeed still on the disk.

Reaction score
Get Info on the drive and check Ignore ownership on this volume at the bottom.

Then the files will be in /Users/AccountName

Ask a Question