Retrieve files from old Mac Hard Drive

Emi

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but my mac has been a dead a while. The harddrive is fine, i just don't know how to get my files (and also deleted files) from my mac hard drive to my pc. I honestly don't even know what to search for because all the articles online talk about how to use a usb WITH your macbook (which, I don't have, it's dead.) I just want to be able to get my files (it's been at least a year, maybe TWO since I had this mac, I really want to get back all my stuff....), I just don't know if I'll have to buy a program or a new mac??? anyone have any advice? :(

Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact Mac model?

2. Where do you want to move the files to? If it's another Mac, that will make the process easier. If it's a Windows PC, I believe you will need to purchase Windows software that can read a Mac formatted drive. Also, not sure which files will "easily" transfer.

Reaction score
If your Mac is dead, then removing the hard drive and putting it in an enclosure/case/caddy is what you'll have to do.

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I was thinking of. But to remove the drive, it is best to get the exact model, so that a visit to www.ifixit.com will have details about removing the drive.

Also, I'm assuming the drive is Mac formatted. So, after installing it inside an external case (I assume one could use a nice, slim Orico case, with USB 3.0 connectivity), for the information to be read on a Windows PC, it will be necessary to have Windows software to do that. Then there is the issue as to which files can be "easily" transferred, if at all. If instead the op's plan is to transfer the stuff to a Mac, then it is much, much easier.

Emi

Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact Mac model?
2. Where do you want to move the files to? If it's another Mac, that will make the process easier. If it's a Windows PC, I believe you will need to purchase Windows software that can read a Mac formatted drive. Also, not sure which files will "easily" transfer.

1. It was a macbook pro from 2011 i think?
2. Right now all I have is a PC, what kind of software would I need?

Emi

Reaction score
If your Mac is dead, then removing the hard drive and putting it in an enclosure/case/caddy is what you'll have to do.

Oh I mean, when it happened I took it to an electronics place to see if I could save it (he took out the hard drive but I'm not sure what all else he did)

Reaction score
Oh I mean, when it happened I took it to an electronics place to see if I could save it (he took out the hard drive but I'm not sure what all else he did)

You need to ask them what exactly they did after they removed the hard drive. What did they tell you about the "repair"? Without knowing the condition of the hard drive, it's difficult at best to provide you with a possible solution.

Ask a Question