Mac Excel formating concern

Reaction score
Something has changed with the recent Excel update. I have a sheet that has different colors for different IRA account data (wife, myself and joint). Previously when I would copy data from my financial website to the spreadsheet the cell(s), to which I posted, retained their formatted color(s). Now, however, when I perform the same cut and paste the financial website's formatted data is placed in the destination cell. In order to retain the original spreadsheet formatting I need to click a small box next to that cell and select "retain destination formatting." Otherwise I get the Financial site's formatting. There should be an option to highlight the appropriate cells (one time) to retain the destination format when a cut and paste is required.

What am I missing?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Excel - I assume 15.33?
-How are you pasting - using contextual menu, keyboard shortcut, Home > Paste in ribbon?

C

Reaction score
Cory,

Thanks for the response.

I am using:
-macOS X Sierra 10.12.5
-Mac Excel 2011 v14.7.2 (no update available)
-pasting: cmd-C; cmd-V

Reaction score
honestone, thanks for the info. I have updated to v 14.7.4. I tried numerous methods to copy/paste...the issue remains.;)

Reaction score
You're most welcome. That update apparently contains mainly security fixes, which is always a good thing.

I have Office 2016, and (infrequently) use Excel 2016 (latest version of Office 2016, V15.34). I have never done anything as "fancy" as you have, but one would think there should be a way to have the formatting stay as is, via a setting (it could even be a setting for each separate spreadsheet(. I looked both at all the settings in Excel 2016, and even did a google search of your issue, but could not find anything.

Reaction score
It's not a major issue but it has added five mouse clicks (one for each account) that weren't necessary before. I don't know why this change was deemed to be better. MS didn't K-I-S-S.

Reaction score
It's not a major issue but it has added five mouse clicks (one for each account) that weren't necessary before. I don't know why this change was deemed to be better. MS didn't K-I-S-S.

Yeah, seems like they made it worse.

And I see you believe in the KISS philosophy also! Yup, Keep It Simple, Stupid. Too bad most folks/companies do not adhere to that. It sure would make life easier!

Ask a Question