Mac died, All is lost

Reaction score
My macbook literally just died, it wont even turn on. I havent recently backed anything up so it seems all my music and my photos and work are all gone. Is there any hope of getting my stuff back? My mac is old, from 2007 so I dont know if it's worth it to try to get it fixed.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi & sorry about your MB, all your files are still there on the hard drive & I see your point about the cost of repair vs the age of the machine. My 2006 iMac packed it in & I was able to diagnose the cause & source another power supply & fit it myself which saved my a lot of money. Other than paying for a proper diagnosis & repair the only way I can see you being reunited with your valuable files is to remove the hard drive yourself or find out if your MB can be resurrected. What helped me is ifixit . com there is a wealth of knowledge there.

Reaction score
Hi & sorry about your MB, all your files are still there on the hard drive & I see your point about the cost of repair vs the age of the machine. My 2006 iMac packed it in & I was able to diagnose the cause & source another power supply & fit it myself which saved my a lot of money. Other than paying for a proper diagnosis & repair the only way I can see you being reunited with your valuable files is to remove the hard drive yourself or find out if your MB can be resurrected. What helped me is ifixit . com there is a wealth of knowledge there.
I guess I should add that my mac is turning on but then the screen goes black and it turns off. Should I assume that because it is techically turning on there's a chance it might still be saved, at least ling enough to back up my files?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So it turns on but turns off straight away? Could you please be exact in describing what happens from the second you press the power button until the MB turns itself off because you wrote "it won't even turn on" before?

Need to know a little more about exactly what is going on.

If it is turning itself off then you would have difficulty doing anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So it turns on but turns off straight away? Could you please be exact in describing what happens from the second you press the power button until the MB turns itself off because you wrote "it won't even turn on" before?

Need to know a little more about exactly what is going on.

If it is turning itself off then you would have difficulty doing anything.
Yes, just as I said when I press the power button the screen and the startup chime come on then turns off. It lasts about one second. I have two power adapters and it happens with both of them. I googled my problem and someone said it could be a display cable or inverter problem. I should mention that in the past year my screen developed a pink-ish hue on one side of the screen and a few days ago the screen would dim and then brighten again. Does this sound like a display problem or a dying hard drive? I dont know how a tech would be able to diagnose anything without the screen turning on.

Reaction score
Additionally, how are you making posts here? If it's with another Mac, what exact model is it? There is a possibility that you could boot your "problematic" machine in Target Disk Mode.

Reaction score
A 2007 Macbook should have a removable battery. (My 2007 MBP has a removable battery)
If I am correct, the battery may be swelling and pressing against internal components, like the video board (causing the odd colors) The battery may be SO dead that it is overpowering the AC adapters. Try removing the battery and start it on the AC adapter alone.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Yea, I'd like to know if it worked too. ... ( but it seems we may never find out)
Hi, it's the OP. My Mac is still dead and will remain that way. I am saving to buy a refurbished Mac from ebay. I'll never be able to afford a new one, so I figure I will just buy another refurbished one if it breaks down.

Question, though. What I am hoping is that when I get the refurbished Mac I can just slide my old hard drive into the new one and quickly grab all my songs and photos. Does this sound like it'll work?

Reaction score
Hi, it's the OP. My Mac is still dead and will remain that way. I am saving to buy a refurbished Mac from ebay. I'll never be able to afford a new one, so I figure I will just buy another refurbished one if it breaks down.

Question, though. What I am hoping is that when I get the refurbished Mac I can just slide my old hard drive into the new one and quickly grab all my songs and photos. Does this sound like it'll work?

It's possible, but that drive will need to be "checked" out first. What exact Mac model do you have now?

For checking out that drive, it will first need to be removed from your present "dead" machine. That is why you need to state what exact Mac model it is. Once you do that, it will need to installed inside an external case (they are not expensive). Then, after you get your "new" Mac, that external case will need to be connected to the new Mac, and then you would use Disk Utility there to check out the drive. Assuming all is well, you could do the transfer at that time. No need to install that drive inside your new Mac.

Also, how are you making posts here? What device are you using?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's possible, but that drive will need to be "checked" out first. What exact Mac model do you have now?

For checking out that drive, it will first need to be removed from your present "dead" machine. That is why you need to state what exact Mac model it is. Once you do that, it will need to installed inside an external case (they are not expensive). Then, after you get your "new" Mac, that external case will need to be connected to the new Mac, and then you would use Disk Utility there to check out the drive. Assuming all is well, you could do the transfer at that time. No need to install that drive inside your new Mac.

Also, how are you making posts here? What device are you using?

Hi again, I am using my phone to post here. I am unsure of the model of my mac because I can't turn it on to find out. I just have the serial number and know it was from 2007 and running Snow Leopard. The hard drive was replaced in 2012. Also, my battery died ages ago and have been using my adapter for about two years until the mac died.

My question to you is where do I buy the external case you talked about and is there a certain name for it? Thanks for any info!

Reaction score
OK, firts, you can use this site/link to look up your exact Mac model using the serial number:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

If you can't do it with your phone, let is know the serial number, and we can look it up for you.

Secondly, given that you have a Macbook, I would assume the hard drive that is inside of it is 2.5" "thick". Thus, you can use an external enclosure like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Tool-Free-External-Enclosure-Supported/dp/B00B0RD2RA

This Youtube video shows how easy it is to use:

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it is the op here. I have a question. I have the opportunity to get a free Dell Inspiron computer and I'd like to know if it is possible to run my mac hdd on it or does it only run on another mac. Thanks!

Reaction score
You cannot "run" your Mac HDD (formatted for Mac usage) on a Windows machine. But you can use the drive on a Windows machine. To do that, you will first need to Erase the drive, and then format it as "ExFAT", and Scheme "Master Boot Record". Those "parameters" are via Apple's Disk Utility, which of course you can only do on a Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You can read Mac OS drives on Windows computers, with the help of software like MacDrive from Mediafour. There are a few other ones as well, that is just the one I remember off the top of my head.

Don't erase/format the drive without getting your files off of it though. If the PC doesn't work, you might be able to find another way to get your files, and there may some computer shops in your area that offer that service.

C

Reaction score
Note, though, that one cannot run Mac software on Windows machines. Yes, the information on the drive can be read, but no programs on the drive can run.

Ask a Question