SOLVED Mac Book Pro won’t boot

RHW

Reaction score
I turn on my Mac, which starts to boot up. The progress line gets to about half way nd then the machine shuts off. I turn it on again and the same thing happens. I believe it’s a 2009 model . It has been loved and updated, although it is not the very latest operating system. I think I have High Sierra.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be a couple of things:
-Hard drive is full
-Logic board/video card issue - unfortunately, the Apple MacBook Pro Repair Extension Programs have all expired for covered repairs

What is the exact model of the MacBook Pro?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That's one of the Mid 2009 MBPs.

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Have you tried an SMC and NVRAM reset?
-You could try a Safe Boot by powering off, then power on and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. See if that allows it to startup completely.
-Any idea if the drive is/was full?

C

RHW

Reaction score
Trying the safe boot up you suggested. 10 minutes later the progress line has progressed 90%. I think I have plenty of room on my hard drive but will check if it finally boots up.

RHW

Reaction score
It booted up Isengard the safe mode. Then I deleted excess items, shut down the machine and rebooted.
Success. It rebooted.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent! Glad it wasn't a hardware issue or corrupted/failing drive.

Let us know if you have any more issues.

C

Ask a Question