Mac Air 2020 FaceTime camera is horrible

Reaction score
I wonder if there is some setting I'm not seeing to correct the awful FaceTime camera on my MacAir 2020. I have the MacAir'13 still and the video image is sharp and clear. On the new MacAir20 it's really terrible. Fuzzy, color is not so great, just not at all what ought to be on this computer.
How can I change/ reset/ correct this faulty camera?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I found this on Apple's site:

According to one user:

This problem is only occurring in 2020 MacBook line up. This issue isn't very well known yet but I personally have bought 3 2020 MacBooks and all of them have had this problem and I have compared it side by side to my 2015 Macbook Pro and the camera quality difference is night and day.

I have no personal knowledge of this issue. I just did a google search to try to determine whether the issue might be with your machine specifically, or 2020 Macbooks generally. Looks like it might be the later.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Is this a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) or a MacBook Air (M1, 2020)?
-What version of macOS?
-Do you have any applications like Zoom installed?
-Is the image quality the same in all applications that use the camera - FaceTime, Photo Booth, Google Meet, Zoom, etc.?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Is this a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) or a MacBook Air (M1, 2020)?
-What version of macOS?
-Do you have any applications like Zoom installed?
-Is the image quality the same in all applications that use the camera - FaceTime, Photo Booth, Google Meet, Zoom, etc.?

C
I have the MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) OS Catalina 10.15.7, Yes, I have zoom. this is where it really hit me. I compared my video from the older Mac air '13 to this one and it's just unbelievably bad on the new computer. It also show up in the poor quality when I make a video with Quick Time Player, which is something I do often. So ya, it's a big bummer to buy this new computer and have this aspect be so dysfunctional. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Are you still within Apple's return period? If not, you could sell the machine, take the loss, and buy another machine which which you would actually enjoy. Life is short. Lots of people don't make videos or do zoom etc and may not care about the limitations of this model. It sounds like you purchased this machine fairly recently, so hopefully the loss wouldn't be too bad.

You could try calling Apple and aiming them at the above link on their own site which demonstrates that other users of this model have had the same problem. I found that link in 2 minutes, you could likely find a number of other similar pages. This may help if they take the "what are you doing wrong?" approach. If you are polite but very persistent you might be able to negotiate an exchange.

As best I can tell from the link I shared above, this is a limitation of this particular model so, if true, there's probably no way to fix it. If that's the case then your choices would seem to be:

1) Negotiate with Apple.

2) Sell the machine and make peace with the loss.

3) Keep the machine and make peace with the loss.

4) Replace the camera?

5) Buy an external webcam and use that instead?

It's possible you could recoup your loss by replacing this machine with a used machine. You know, if you could sell this one for $900 (or whatever the going rate is) and buy a used machine for $900 that doesn't have this problem, then you've traded new for used, but you haven't lost any money.

We haven't bought anything new from Apple in twenty years. All of our machines are used. Here's why.

1) First, obviously used is cheaper.

2) You can get a lemon when buying new and when buying used. If you get a lemon it's more fun when it costs less. The idea that new is more reliable may be an illusion, it has been in my experience at least.

3) When you buy an older model you have the opportunity to do some google searches before the purchase to see what experiences other buyers have had with that model. If a particular issue is reported repeatedly, and that issue matters to you, then you can avoid the purchase and keep looking. This is harder to do with the latest models.

Sorry for your loss, and I hope something in there helps.

PS: This typed on a ten year old 27 inch iMac which I do tons of video work on.

Ask a Question