mac 10.3.9

Reaction score
Hi there..this is my first post here. I'm very confused. my dual 1 Ghz G4 tower keeps freezing. It's several times a day and all i can do is power down the computer at the front. When i turn it back on it can be ok but shortly after it will happen again. It doesn't seem to be triggered by any particular piece of software as it freezes during several (safari, word, final cut pro). The mouse seems to be sticking ie it doesn't run smoothly across the screen and will suddenly jump. Could it be a virus? If so how would I go about getting rid of it? i wanted your advice before the desparate wiping everything then reloading it all.
This mac has always had a ridiculously loud fan. (mac sent me a new fan for me to replace cos i believe this model was problematic. i did that and it seemed very similar - this was a couple of years ago) I've had the comp for several years (4 i guess).
I've tried disk repair (inc from the install disc) and using spring cleaner to clear cache and all..

Any advice...please....i am a little scared.
thanks,
stuart

Reaction score
Freezing consistently in different programs is usually down to a hardware issue or a virus issue.

In my experience, it is either memory or overheating or virus variants that are the three most common issues.

I doubt you have a virus though. When you did a disc repair did any messages come up? Or did you just repair permissions?

Do you have the original CDS that came with your system? If so, run the Apple hardware test to see if there is a fault with your hardware.

Here are instructions on how to run the test on a G4 powermac:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31241

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Reaction score
thank you so much Kyomi...i really appreciate it. I am away from computer for a few days so will try all when i get back...it can be lonely not knowing what's going on with a beast you spend so much time with..so thank you again, very much

stuart

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Stuart and welcome,

let us know how you get on !

How much free space have you got ?

When was the last time you reinstalled the OS ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all, Thanks again for any help you can give me..am back with compy briefly. Back full time next week to try some stuff...

ok

Kyomii,

The mouse is really dragging heavily on and off now and freezing regularly in different programs. You suggested its is usually memory, overheating or a virus issue.

Are there checks i can do to see if it's overheating?

When i did a disc repair no messages came up - it just said 'the volume applications /system appears to be ok.' i repaired the permissions + the disk

i also removed some cache + got Spring cleaning to 'verify the integrity' of the packages'. It said 'There were no items found matching your search criteria' which i assume means that the packages were ok.

I have the original CD'S that came with my system but can't find the Apple hardware test to see if there is a fault with the hardware. The only disks i have are 'Power mac G4 Mac OSX install discs 1 &2' I don't seem to have a software restore cd or the apple hardware test...(unless it's on one of these cd's ..I'll have a double check). Should i have another cd? Is there any way to get hold of one of these apple hardware tests.

Regarding free space Ric/kyomii, On my Application/System drive (start up drive) i have 4.72 GB free. I originally partitioned it and that 2nd part of the drive has 37 GB of memory as i've just cleared some bits.

How can i check to see if my system has enough memory in certain areas? What quantifies 'enough'.. I am sorry i really wish i knew more about the ins and outs of this beast

I've never reinstalled the OS. Would you advise i do that? If i do that now, will it be easy for me to upgrade to 10.3.9 again.

If it was a virus, would you advise a piece of software i could get?

sorry the questions are endless..Any help would be hugely appreciated

take care

stuart

Reaction score
As far as the Apple Hardware test goes, it is probably "hidden" on your install disk 1. If you put install disk 1 into your cd drive and reboot holding down the option key you'll get a window that shows all bootable drives. One of them should be called "Apple Hardware Test." (If you have more than 3 bootable disks you may have to hit the circular arrow button to get to the choices that are off screen.) If you click on that and then click the right pointing arrow you'll get the Hardware test screen.

Reaction score
What version of OS X is on your install disks? That'll determine how easy/difficult it will be to get back to 10.3.9.

If your original install disks are 10.3.x or if you have the commercial Panther (10.3) install CDs or DVD, after a reinstall (archive and install would be a good starting place rather than a complete reformat and reinstall) you should be able to just run Software Update and you'll get completely up to date with 10.3.9.

If you've got a 3rd party disk repair utility (like DiskWarrior), that's also a good tool to use, and it often sees and fixes things Apple's Disk Utility can't.

Reaction score
hi..
1. did you try another mouse? some time if the wire is lose inside the mouse cable it will jump and stop also .. so try to change the mouse
2. when the mouse stop .. what about the keyboard .. is it working or also stop?
if it is stop may be the motherboard it self. I face this problem and I change the mother board. But try to install USB card to test the keyboard and the mouse.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Stuart,

if you want you can send me your log files and I'll see if anything shows up...

In the Finder go to the Menu bar and select goto folder, then type in /var/log/ Select all of the files in here and drag them (holding down the option key) to a new folder on the desktop (This will copy them).

Then select the folder on the desktop and control click on it and select create archive...then email me the archive. I'll try and have a look later tonight.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hi there

ric ,
that is so kind of you. I was trying to accept your amazing offer to look through the archive but i got this message when i tried to attach the zip of my log

'The file that you want to attach contains a virus that cannot be cleaned. The file cannot be attached to your message.'

Do you think that could be a clear sign of a virus on my system or just a vagary of hotmail. i am going to buy diskwarrior tomorrow and run that.

zeyhra, to answer your question, the 2 mac osx disks i have (original from when i bought the comp in 2002) are version 10.2 Does this make it tricky to get the operating system back up to date (now I run 10.3.9) if i end up having to completely erase the computer and strt again?

Also, the apple hardware test wasnt on that original install disc 1. The only disks/things i found when following your instructions were the install disc and my current startup disk. (even after pressing the circular arrow and then the right one as you said

I will buy and try diskwarrior tomorrow. Seems like a good thing to have anyway. Do you think that will be able to get rid of a virus or would i need another piece of software or a total erase and start again? I am worried i dont have all the apple software i had originally as i cant find any 'software restore cd.' I've just got these 2 install discs.

many many thanks,

stuart

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Stuart,

no virus, that's just hotmail !!

Do you have another email account or any other way of sending it...

Don't rush out and buy DiskWarrior...it's very good and fixes damaged drives, but it is very specific in what it does, untill we have nailed the problem you may be better holding off.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there thanks for the logs !

it makes life easier...

What port is your mouse plugged into ?

Do you have a spare mouse that you can try ?

I'll have a proper read throught them later, but it looks like a problem with the Mouse or possibly the port it is plugged into.

The cable in the mouse may be broken...and it is then causing the problem.

What USB devices have you got plugged in ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi ric,

The mouse is in my keyboard port. I've tried it in the right and left keyboard port and it does the same random freezing and sticking. Sometimes when it freezes it is brought to life again if i try and save it but only now and then (rarely) this works...

I dont have another mouse here but i will try and source one tomorrow.

Other USB devices i have plugged in are a HP printer or a scanner (never both due to ports). I will experiment with having various devices connected and disconnected.

thanks again

stuart

Reaction score
stuart said:
Other USB devices i have plugged in are a HP printer or a scanner (never both due to ports). I will experiment with having various devices connected and disconnected.

I was just going to offer the same advice!

Cheers
Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

from what I can see it looks like the mouse is having problems...

Try another mouse and let us know how you get on.

It may be a cable in the mouse that has snapped...so sometimes it works as normal and other times it's crashing the Mac.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
ric,
i bought a new mouse today and after 4 hours there has been no problems so i'm fingers crossed that was what it came down to. I wanted to thank you so much for helping me out. It meant a lot. Thanks too to all others that sent advice.

I'll leave before it gets like an acceptance speech.

Thanks again loads

stuart

Ask a Question