Lost user information

Reaction score
I have 4 users on my imac. My own account (admin) opens up but the toolbar begins flashing and nothing on the desktop shows including the hard-drive icon, any external devices or any of my folders eg. documents, pictures etc. Subsequently I can't access anything that was on this particular user account.
Proir to this occuring I deleted some oriental fonts. It began when I emptied the trash and was told that the font couldn't be deleted as it was in use.
Typically I am quiter lazy in that I don't always put away folders and items that are current, however I have backed-up important files on external drive.
I am using MAc OSX 10.4.4 tiger. Can I recover, reinstate, the user and open all files that were on there?
I hope someone can help.

Chris

Reaction score
Hello Chris and Welcome!

Did you remove the fonts from System/Library/Fonts? If so, you may be able to do an "Archive and Install" option. Insert your OS disk, restart computer, hold down either X or C key (I'm not sure which, and follow the instructions. I have not had to do this myself. Hopefully someone can jump in here and give you more info.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Hi Searay345 and thanks for the welcome.
In my haste I didn't check where I deleted them from but I will certainly try this little tip.... thank you once again.

Chris

As a postscript to this message I followed the instructions for restart and held 'c' key down, a tip from other sources too but it doesn't seem to work. All that happens is my main user log in window appears. Could it be because I have the new slimline keyboard? I have updated to use it so perhaps the old key command doesnt work with the new keyboard... answers on a postcard please before I have no hair left....

many thanks,

Chris

Ask a Question