somehow changed users and lost all my preferences!

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have a MacBook (OS X) for work. I was recently backing-up my documents, and I renamed the little house icon on the hard-drive (from my boss' name to my own). Suddenly, I lost all my preferences (everything is now in Swedish, my bookmarks on Safari and Firefox are gone - everything). The biggest problem is that I can't access my Entourage mail from the last 5 months. When I open the program, it acts like it is my first time opening it. What happened?! Could all my email really have been deleted without warning? If I rename the file back, do you think the problem will fix itself?

Please help!
Lauriel

(Stockholm, Sweden)

Reaction score
Hello Lariel and Welcome!

I am not sure how you could rename the house icon name because you can only change it by doing complicated UNIX user commands.

*Correction* Ok, I think I see what you did. You went to the Users Folder and renamed the house icon there? Ok, well at this point, I would try renaming it back to how it was. That might fix the problem. If not, let us know. But as I said, I am not sure renaming back to your boss name will fix your problem. Do you have your stuff backed up in case you need to reinstall the OS?

Ric, Kyomii, Cory, anything to add or amend?

Ask a Question