Lost 3000 contacts

Reaction score
I have a Mac Desktop Mac Os Sierra 10.12.5. All of a sudden, I opened my Contacts folder and it is empty. How do I get my 3,000+ business contacts back? I do have iCloud back up. However, when I click on those contacts in the iCloud folder, nothing appears in the contact information pane next to it and the listing doesn't appear updated.

But, my contacts still so appear correctly on my iPhone. Please help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

What do you mean by your Contacts folder - did you mean the Contacts app? Or, do you mean a folder in your iCloud Drive called Contacts?

Contacts that are entered into the Contacts app do not sync to a folder in your iCloud Drive, they sync to a hidden part of your iCloud account space.

Try logging into icloud.com to see if all of your contacts can be seen there. If so, you can simply uncheck/disable Contacts in System Preferences... > iCloud > Contacts. You can then open Contacts to verify it is empty, then quit the Contacts app. You can then check/re-enable Contacts and they should reappear.

C

Ask a Question