Linksys or Airport Extreme? Which is better?

Reaction score
I currently have a Linksys Wireless Router set up for my PC -- but seeing I will finally be switching to a Mac Pro early next month -- which is the better router in terms of speed, firewall, etc., etc., etc. My wife already has her MBP set up and that is working just fine with the Linksys. Should I keep my Linksys or should I change out the router to the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station?

Reaction score
Hello Jeffreyk

There is an old saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." Since your linksys is working fine at home on all your computers, just keep your Linksys. I have a linksys setup at my parent's house. They have PCs and Macs and don't have problems.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
The Linksys is a few years old, though, and I'm wondering if the Apple Airport Extreme would give me quicker speeds and be more compatible seeing everything regarding computing in the house will be Apple in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Do you know the specs of the Linksys? Is it an 802.11g router? Is it a WRT45G (It should say on the front of the router, in very small letters)? Are the macs you are getting all "brand new" macs, no second hand macs?

The Mac Pro you are getting, great choice by the way, is coming right from Apple? How old is your wife's MacBook Pro?

The reason I ask these questions is that if these macs you are getting are only a few months old, then an Airport Extreme might be beneficial because all the new macs support the 802.11n Draft. The New Airport Extreme Base Station is also n draft supported. So if you are going to be sending files within your network (NOT the internet), you can get up to 1000 MB / sec. But, remember, all the Macs must be a few months old or newer to support the n Draft.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Cheerio
Searay

Ask a Question