Limitations on re-naming files

Reaction score
I have scoured this forum but can't find this specific question addressed. I need Automator to locate all files in a folder that have a specific string of characters and replaces the entire file name with a single name.

For instance, find all files that have the words "Property Disclosure" in them and rename that file "SPD". I can only get automator to replace that specific string of text with the replacement text, not actually rename the entire file name. So maybe the file's full name is "Property Disclosure_4345-B575" and I want that changed to "SPD".

The other part of that is finding multiple files within a folder structure and do the same. Example:
Change "Property Disclosure_4345-B575" to "SPD"
Change "Property Disclosure_2G97_4M1P" to "SPD"
Etc...

I hope I am explaining what I am looking for okay, but any help would be appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X and Automator?

I don't have a lot of experience with Automator/AppleScript. I have found that it can be difficult to do a full text sequential rename with Automator, as it tends to only replace the text actually designated in the workflow. When I need to perform batch renaming of files, I use the application A Better Finder Rename, available directly from publicspace.net for $19.95 USD. It is the best and easiest renaming utility I have found. You can even buy a Forever Upgrade version for $39.90 USD that will give you lifetime upgrades for free.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
A Better Finder Rename is a life saver! I use it to amend photo tags such as date taken etc.

Ask a Question