Life expectancy of SSD

Reaction score
what is the average life expectancy of
1. 256gb ssd
2. 1tb fusion with 32 gb ssd

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I assume you are asking, because you are considering the purchase of a new iMac? There isn't an official life expectancy for drives due to usage patterns, environment, normal failure rate, etc. All drives fail, some faster than others.

That said, SSDs are more reliable than mechanical hard drives, and the Fusion Drive is a hybrid of both. For most modern drives, you should get at least be guaranteed 3-5 years, which is the normal warranty from most manufacturers.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
It is also beneficial for you to frequently perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective. You actually can do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

Be aware, also, that there are still some issues with Fusion Drives and High Sierra (OS 10.13.3).

Reaction score
One other thing that needs to be considered (and I credit this to Allen Davis) is that it is best if you keep about 15% to 20% of free space available (and as usual, more is better). That can be achieved if one just makes a concerted effort to remove unnecessary stuff from the drive/SSD. Also, if you have "large" storage needs, consider getting an external drive for that. I myself collect various movies and TV series, and I keep them stored on a partition on my external SSDs. That works well, and I can keep my internal SSDs "lean, mean, and clean".

Reaction score
256 should be fine as I have a 500 gb windows pc, I have had it 5 years and only used 70 gbs, thanks, going with the 1099.00 imac upgraded to 256 ssd for 1299.00, purchase pending on my budget numbers

Reaction score
Good luck with your purchase. Just make sure to 1) perform frequent disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective, 2) keep up to date with any software you use, and 3) this is critical: make sure to do frequent backups.

Ask a Question