G5 pump failure, replace ? repair ? rethink my life choices

Reaction score
I'm new to Macs , so new in fact that the G5 in question is my first. I was given it as it wouldn't turn on, replaced the battery and reset the power control and it started but then very soon the fans went full speed and red lights appeared inside.

Had read that as they were liquid cooled they had leaking problems, so took the whole thing apart and when i tested the pump it didn't come to life, also the heatsink seals were leaking.

I set about stripping down the pump to find liquid inside and the pcb looking as it does in the picture.

P1010244.JPG

Now thankfully being a trainee electronics technician i can tell this is not good lol, looked into replacing the pcb but they all seem to focus on using with a windows system (even emailed the company that makes them and they said "sell the pump and buy a new one" ) now i don't want to have to go and fork out £50-£60 on a new pump , i'm not really excited about paying even £30 for a used , unchecked liquid cooling system complete off ebay , plus i like to get things working again myself and at a minimal cost.

So has anyone tried the DIYINHK boards on a G5? should i just resign myself to having a very nice case to put a windows based pc inside , possibly a nice dual cpu server board and make it a nas or something ? Basically any help would be greatly received.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your issue. However, the liquid cooling system isn't a user-serviceable part. Not even Apple Genius technicians performed component level repairs on those units.

That being said, it is probably your best bet to purchase an exact OEM part to replace the faulty pump. Attempting to use non-Apple parts, or repair the faulty part, could easily cause an unsafe scenario and further damage to the G5.

C

Ask a Question