Keychain Access mess up big time. All options greyed out.

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Right…a right pigs ear of a mess.
I have tried to explain it as much as I can which makes it very long.

I had an old mid 2009 macbook running Yosemite.
The mac started to go (couldnt stay on for more than 20/30 minutes at a time).

Because I was going to get a new mac, I just grabbed the whole Keychain access folders from the old mac User Library and also from the main HD Library and saved them to an external drive.
I thought I would add the old keychains to the new mac.
2020 Big Sur 11.4

I backed up both folders from Big Sur and saved them.

But rather than use the ADD Keychain option on the new mac, I decided (for some reason) to just replace/straight swap both folders on Big Sur with the ones from the old mac (with ‘everything’ in them not just the Keychains, but everything) which was on the external HD.

This messed up big time it all up big time.

Rather than just putting the original Big Sur folders back, I decided to try again but just adding the old keychain ‘Keychains.login’ files from the old mac fback into the old Keychain folders still on Big Sur.

This made it even worse.

To make matters EVEN Worse I accentually deleted the old mac folders saved on the external HD but also the original backed Big Sur folders. (idiot)
So now I don't have anything.

I have ended up with Keychain access looking like this now in the images I have attached with what looks like an images with a blue icon next to them.

If I right click on anything there, all options are greyed out. So I cant remove them. It is also the same if I try it from the menu bar.

Remember I don't have ‘any copies of the original Big Sur folders or the ‘old mac’ ones now.
I dont want to bother with any of my old keychains now after all this. I just want to get rid of the images with the blue icons, which all of their options are greyed out.

I dont want to have to completely reformat it just to get rid of them as I only bought the new Mac last week.
I have tried restarting. Reinstall via recovery mode. Deleting both Keychain folders in both libraries and restarting.

Can anyone tell me how I can remove these please…if possible.

Sorry this has been so long.

Heres a link to the images as they were to big to upload.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, this isn't an issue I have come across previously.

First thing I would do is make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your Mac. Once that is done, you can try some things to delete them, but make sure you only delete those with login in the name.

The recommended way to copy a keychain from one Mac to another, if you don't do use Migration Assistant, is outlined here: Copy keychains to another Mac

-Not sure how they ended up listed in the System Keychains?
-Where did you replace the folders - in System > Library or Users > Home > Library?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, this isn't an issue I have come across previously.

First thing I would do is make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your Mac. Once that is done, you can try some things to delete them, but make sure you only delete those with login in the name.

The recommended way to copy a keychain from one Mac to another, if you don't do use Migration Assistant, is outlined here: Copy keychains to another Mac

-Not sure how they ended up listed in the System Keychains?
-Where did you replace the folders - in System > Library or Users > Home > Library?

C
Sorry being so late getting back.
yes I will give it a go.
Thanks.

Ask a Question