Keychain log-in problem

Reaction score
Greetings, everyone,

Every time I boot up my desk top, I get asked to enter my keychain password. If I hit 'cancel' another box pops up with another application, If I enter the password I get on, but this is very tedious. I'm the only one using my home desktop, so I don't have to worry about security too much. any help appreciated. A google search gave me some answers but none of them worked. Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks, bixntram

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Did you recently change your user password? You will get that prompt if your user and keychain passwords aren't the same.

C

Reaction score
Hi, by user name password, I assume you mean the one I long onto my computer with? I changed that recently. When I try to use for the keychain prompts, it keeps telling me "password incorrect." I don't know what else I can do. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that's the password I meant. Normally, when you change your password in  > System Preferences... > Users& Groups > your account > Change Password..., you should restart immediately. That will insure your keychain password is changed as well.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?

You could try the following:
-Open Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access
-Click Edit > Change Password for Keychain "login" from the menu bar
-Enter your old password in Current Password:
-Enter the password you changed to login with in New Password: and Verify:
-Click OK and quit Keychain Access
-Immediately restart your Mac and see if the issue is resolved.

Let us know,

C

Reaction score
Hi, Cory, okay, I'm making progress. I was able to change the keychain password to my log-in password. However, the prompt keeps coming up when I boot up the desk top. Also, there is now a keychain icon in the doc, which I can't get rid of. The annoying prompt that comes up usually says 'Comm Center'.

Before I go further, maybe you can clear up my confusion about Mac passwords.

There's the basic admin password I would use to log on if I were sharing my desktop with others. However, since I'm the only one who uses this desktop, I've bypassed th log-in so it just open automitically.

I believe this password is different from my "Apple ID" which I would have to use to get to the Itunes Store or to log on to the Apple Help website. Is this correct?

Whatabout the ICloud log-on? Is this yet another Apple password, can I log on with my "Apple ID"?

BTW I tried and failed to create an icon to go with me name here. I'm a friendly person nonetheless.

Thanks fot your help,
Scott, aka Bixntram

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Mac (admin) password: To login to your Mac or install software/updates
-Apple ID: Used to purchase form Apple App Store, iTunes, iBooks, etc.
-iCloud: Is an Apple ID - normally the same as the Apple ID used to purchase things. If the email/username and password are the same for your Apple ID and iCloud, then it's the same.

Can you upload an image of the Keychain icon in the Dock? It is probably on the right side, near the Trash - maybe a divider between the regular Dock and that icon? If so, that is the recently used apps section of the Dock. macOS Mojave 10.14 introduced that feature, and it can be disabled in  > System Preferences... > Dock > Show recent applications in Dock. Just uncheck the box next to that.

Not sure why it is still prompting you. What happens if you enter the password you changed for the Keychain? Does it keep prompting, or does that resolve it on the next restart/login?

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory; just getting back to this now. I'm still running OSX 10.11.6, El Capitan and want to clear these issues up before installing the latest OSX version.

I made the keychain icon in the doc disappear. I changed the keychain password to my admin log-in, but I'm still getting the prompt every time I boot up. The prompt always says "Comm. Center" which I assume is the same as keychain? So, what can I do now to keep that prompt coming up every time I boot up? Thanks for yhour help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK

You could look in Keychain Access for an entry with Comm.Center in the name.

Also, do you have  > System Preferences... > iCloud > Keychain enabled?

C

Ask a Question