Keyboard Cutting Out

Reaction score
Recently the left shift, left option and less frequently the left command key on my Macbook Pro (2012; A1286) have been cutting in and out. One second they will work fine and the next they won't. Strangely, it seems the left shift and left option key either both work at the same time or not work at the same time. I brought it into the apple store and they replaced the shift key for me but it did not help. They said replacing the entire keyboard ($240) would be the only option for fixing it. I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC and have dusted the keyboard with canned air. Can anyone please offer any other suggestions? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It does sound like more of a mechanical hardware issue than a software issue. I would tend to agree that a complete keyboard replacement would be the best solution. Not sure why they would replace just the Shift key?

Have you tried using an external USB keyboard to see if the issue persists with it?

C

Reaction score
They replaced the shift key at my request because a little piece of the plastic on one of the hinges had snapped off when I was looking at it. I ordered an external keyboard, expecting to get it today so I can test that. Thanks for your reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...that type or replacement makes sense.

Please let us know what you find with the external keyboard.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, good. Then it sounds like their keyboard replacement would be the solution.

C

Ask a Question