keeps restarting after shutdown

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone help? My iMac G5, ~ 3 yrs old, now turns itself back on all the time after I shut it down. My computer jockey has had me do the basics (see below) and is now out of ideas.

What I've done: 1) Checked Preferences Energy Pane & disabled any scheduling that might wake up the Mac; 2) Checked that EyeTV isn't the problem w/ scheduled tapings; 3) reset the SMC by unplugging the power etc; 4) reset PRAM; 5) deleted 2 "autowake" files in library/prefs/system config.

Ideas appreciated.

Reaction score
Discontinued January 10, 2006 (17"), and March 20, 2006 (20")

I'd say the powerboard is on the way out.

Ensure ALL your data is backed up now.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You have done almost all the normal diagnostic steps. Sounds like a failing power supply to me.

-Have you removed the back cover and checked for bulging capacitors?
-Check out this article as well: iMac G5 Status Lights/Reset Buttons - Step 6 and on
-Have you tried running the Mac with the EyeTV totally disconnected.

If you remove the back cover, make sure you read the article thoroughly and adhere to the safety steps.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Kaveman,
I'll do an extra backup now; how else will I know if the powerboard is about to fail?
Thank you Cory,
I'll follow up on suggestions that don't involve opening the back.
with appreciation, psyed.

Reaction score
Success!
Thanks Cory, disconnecting EyeTV seems to have corrected the problem!
So pleased the prognosis is not as dire as it sounded.
thanks all,
psyed

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad it's sorted and not anything major. If you have scheduled recordings, you could have the display sleep and not the iMac. That would save a little electricity and still allow the EyeTV to function.

Sometimes USB device will wreak havoc on the sleep function of Macs. This issue has been around for years. I remember having sleep issues with my PowerMac G4 and G5 (including some PCI cards). The Intel Mac mini in my kitchen will go to sleep and immediately wake when an Altec Lansing USB speaker is connected. I have to unplug it, then sleep works normally.

C

Ask a Question