Finder keeps restarting

Reaction score
I upgraded my G5 to 10.4.10 and now while I'm working the finder keeps restarting. about every 5 minutes.... quite a problem :) Does anybody know why this is and or how to stop it?

-M

Reaction score
Were you able to run Disk Utilities and repair disk permissions? Try that. It's always a good idea to do that before and after installing applications, and especiallly after a system upgrade.

Reaction score
I ran disc utilities, ixed permissions and it is still happening. What is happening is every few minutes all the icons on the desktop blink and if I am searching through my files on the hard drive they when it happens they all disappear and I have to start over. And if I am working, the window I am working in becomes deselected.

any ideas?
-M

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

try reapplying the 10.4.10 update use the combo one form here...

(PowerPC version)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
You could run utility programs like onyx or main menu. if it continues to happen even after that you can try a logic board restart
How to do a logic board restart is pull the battery (aka clock battery) off the board and there is a small button (not sure where on yours ) that you can push and hold for ten secs. But the battery back in and see if that helps.

Start with that and I have a few more to try if that does not work

Reaction score
If the problem is only with the Finder, you could also try to move the Finder plist file out of your Preferences folder. Just move it to your desktop. The Mac will create a new plist file when you re-start. Just go to your user Library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist. Move that item to the desktop. Then log out and log back in. See if the problem stops. If it does, then your old plist file was damaged. You can then safely discard that plist on the desktop. Important: by removing your plist file, any Finder settings you had made will be lost.

Ask a Question