Justifying text in Word

Reaction score
First, are you using Word 2008 as part of Office 2008, Word 2011 as part of Office 2011, or Word 2016 as part of Office 2016?

Secondly, do you have the latest version of Word? Here are the versions for Word 2011 (as part of Office 2011), and Word 2016 (as part of Office 2016):

Office 2011 - V14.6.9 (You can get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54014)

Office 2016 - V15.30

Third, which version of El Capitan do you have? The last one was V10.11.6. You can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1885?locale=en_US

Now, I have never used "Full" Justification, so what is that? I have Word 2016 (latest version) up and running now, with a document opened (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.2). The justification options I see are Align Left, Center Text, Align Right, and Justify Text. I have only used the first 3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First, are you using Word 2008 as part of Office 2008, Word 2011 as part of Office 2011, or Word 2016 as part of Office 2016?

Secondly, do you have the latest version of Word? Here are the versions for Word 2011 (as part of Office 2011), and Word 2016 (as part of Office 2016):

Office 2011 - V14.6.9 (You can get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54014)

Office 2016 - V15.30

Third, which version of El Capitan do you have? The last one was V10.11.6. You can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1885?locale=en_US

Now, I have never used "Full" Justification, so what is that? I have Word 2016 (latest version) up and running now, with a document opened (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.2). The justification options I see are Align Left, Center Text, Align Right, and Justify Text. I have only used the first 3.
The option called Justify Text is the one I called Full, it justifies both Left and Right.
I have El Capitan V10.11.2 and Word 2011.

Reaction score
Worked fine for me, although not much of an adjustment. I actually selected the entire text document, clicked on "Justify Text", and some of the text was justified.

You are not using the latest version of El Capitan. I provided the link for you to download the OS 10.11.6 Combo Updater. Also, you did not say which version of Word 2011 you have. Again, I provided the link for you to obtain the latest version of Office 2011, which of course would include the latest upgrade for Word (and any other Office 2011 software you are using (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)).

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Word is 14.7.1.
As you said some of the text does justify but only the odd line. Most of the text does not.
I have to go through the document line by line to manually justify it. There is something wrong.

Reaction score
I guess a later version of Office 2011 came out. Were you having this issue before you upgraded to V14.7.1 (I assume that is what you did(.

Reaction score
OK, I created a blank document consisting of 3 lines of text. The first two lines were justified all the way to the right, and the third line was justified all the way to the left. When I selected the first two lines and clicked on "Justify Text", both lines were justified to the left.

Then, I tried it with the first line justified to the right, the second one centered, and the third justified to the left. Like above, selecting the first two lines and clicking on "Justify Text", both lines were justified to the left.

Finally, first line justified right, second one justified left, and third centered, I selected all 3, did a "Justify Text", and voila, everything was justified left.

Reaction score
OK, I created a blank document consisting of 3 lines of text. The first two lines were justified all the way to the right, and the third line was justified all the way to the left. When I selected the first two lines and clicked on "Justify Text", both lines were justified to the left.

Then, I tried it with the first line justified to the right, the second one centered, and the third justified to the left. Like above, selecting the first two lines and clicking on "Justify Text", both lines were justified to the left.

Finally, first line justified right, second one justified left, and third centered, I selected all 3, did a "Justify Text", and voila, everything was justified left.
Thank you very much for your interest. I have found out what the problem is but not how to fix it , if it can be fixed.
The documents I am working on are pdf that have been converted to Word. I checked with a normal Word document and it works fine.

Reaction score
OK, I guess that explains it (I have no experience doing that). Wonder what software was used in the conversion process.

Also, it would be good if you upgrade El Capitan to V10.11.6.

Ask a Question