jpgs on USB Stick not recognised by TV

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Medion 21,5" LED TV which has a USB connection. The manual says, photos on USB media (e.g. on a stick) can be viewed on the TV screen.
I have tried this with a SanDisk 32 GB USB Stick, then also with a Verbatim 32 GB Stick and the TV's system doesn't recognise them. Thinking, it might be due to the Mac formatted Sticks, I reformatted them as ExFat. This supposedly works with Macs as well as PCs. Still no luck. I also tried these sticks with a neighbour's Philips LED TV which didn't recognise them either. Where might the problem be?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would guess that the format is the issue.

-Which model is the Medion?
-Have you tried formatting it as plain old FAT?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,
thanks for your suggestion. I tried it out formatting in plain old MS-DOS (FAT) to no avail. Nothing changes.
By the way the Medion is the 21,5"LEDTVCombo MD21334.
I have tried Medion Customer Service some time ago. Only got an automated response they are busy (Too many problems?)
Andy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm....stumper.

Since they aren't recognized on your neighbor's Philips, then it is either the formatting or the USB sticks themselves. I couldn't find an online manual for your Medion.

A friend of mine uses USB sticks with his Samsung TV. The requirements are:
-MSC (Mass Storage Class) USB devices only
-Connect directly to the USB port, not with a USB extension cable
-Supports FAT, exFAT, and NTFS file systems
-TV can display up to 1,000 files per folder

Some other brands require USB sticks to be 16 GB or less...have any smaller ones?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory
unfortunately, no English manual included, but in the German, Italian, Dutch & French versions it is clearly described that USB media, connected to the USB port can be activated scrolling in "Input" to "media" which brings up a new TV screen with icons of the connected and recognised devices (one at a time). In my case, however, it says "no inserted media". The manual doesn't mention anything about the format type and size of the device.
In the next few days I'll try to get a 16 GB USB Stick and see what it gives.

Reaction score
Hello Cory,
got a 16 GB USB Stick and tried it. You were right, 16 GB seems to be the max. size the TV recognises. However, only, when formatted in MS-DOS (FAT). Ex Fat is not recognised. And on top of it, although the USB medium is accepted, the jpg images are not recognised.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the update...

At least we're making progress. ;)

Maybe try opening one of the images in Preview, export it as a JPEG, and see f it reads it?

C

Reaction score
Progress, thanks to your patience! Thanks!
I am getting closer but not there yet. A 16 GB USB Stick was essentialand so was an MS-DOS (FAT) formatting. Your suggestion via a Preview jpg export resulted in the photos being recognised by the Medion system (but why this detour, instead of simply copying the jpgs to the USB Stick? This latter doesn't work, by the way).
OK, so now I have 2/3 of the screen area with a window listing the recognised jpgs' name. Clicking on one of them shows the miniature image in a small window in the upper right corner of the screen, far from a size enjoyable on a tv screen. It's just to show, that the image is there.
Up to now I was not able to find a way to make the image full screen size.

Ask a Question