Itunes / mp3 download freezes

Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent iTunes (11.1.1) from launching when I download a tune (not from iTunes store)?

The problem is this: sometimes the mp3 (form mp3caprice) download works, but most of the time the download cause the system to freeze. The only way out then is to press the shut down button on back of the iMac.

I suspect the freeze has something to do with iTunes trying to play the tune upon download—which may be causing the issue.

I disabled Sophos antivirus. I repaired disk and permissions, and ran diskwarrior which didn't report issues or bad sectors.

These freezes only happen when downloading mp3's for Caprice--they told me that there is no issue with their mp3's for download.

Suggestions.

Reaction score
Hi,

Double check that in your preferences you have not got send download also to iTunes.

Reaction score
you may think you have turned this off but I bet dollars to donuts its the cause of your problems.

I turned off on scanning in Sophos. In any case, if Sophos is the issue, why are there some MP3's that download with no problem?

I did see a preference in Safari that might stop an MP3 from launching iTune. We'll see if that is the problem.

Reaction score
Hi,

Example is I use GetiPlayerAutomator and in its preferences there is a box to tick if you want the film / documentary or what ever you are downloading to also be saved in iTunes movies music etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 11.31.48.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 11.31.48.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 283
Reaction score
Just to add if I select this preferences option then the download immediately open and runs in iTunes.

Ask a Question