iTunes hates my second monitor

Reaction score
I use my Mac as an all-purpose media player, recording and playing over-the-air TV, streaming, and iTunes content. Video goes to a larger second monitor in the living room, audio to my stereo system. All was well until I went to OS 10.9.5, whereupon iTunes balks at playing movies as long as the second monitor, an Asus, is connected to the system. There are no problems with other iTunes content. To play a movie, I must reboot in a Snow Leopard volume, where movies play just fine, as they always have done. Is there a fix for this besides rebooting into Snow Leopard? I don't plan to buy a new monitor.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-You can startup in Snow Leopard and Mavericks, correct?
-What model and how is the ASUS display connected?
-Are these movies purchased from the iTunes Store?

C

Reaction score
It is a mid 2010 mini

The monitor is an Asus S271HL. It is connected via the Mini Display Port via a Belkin adapter to HDMI cable

The main boot drive is Maverics, but I have outboard drives with bootable volumes of everything from Snow Leopard to Sierra.

The movies are rented from iTunes. I think it behaves the same for purchased movies, but I don't purchase movies very often. In Snow Leopard, iTunes balks if only the Asus is powered up. As long as both monitors are on (the other is a ViewSonic connected to the HDMI port via DVI to HDMI adapter), everything is okey-doke. There is no problem with purchased TV episodes like GoT.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is a mid 2010 mini

The monitor is an Asus S271HL. It is connected via the Mini Display Port via a Belkin adapter to HDMI cable

The main boot drive is Maverics, but I have outboard drives with bootable volumes of everything from Snow Leopard to Sierra.

The movies are rented from iTunes. I think it behaves the same for purchased movies, but I don't purchase movies very often. In Snow Leopard, iTunes balks if only the Asus is powered up. As long as both monitors are on (the other is a ViewSonic connected to the HDMI port via DVI to HDMI adapter), everything is okey-doke. There is no problem with purchased TV episodes like GoT.
Stupid typo: It is, of course, an Acer monitor, not Asus.

Ask a Question