ITunes - Burn 90 Minute CD

Reaction score
I have several Playlists in ITunes that are longer than 80 minutes (actually, they're 87 minutes long). When I try to burn them to a disc that has 90 minute capacity, I get a dialog that says I need more than one disc.

Then ITrunes burns the first couple of songs and ejects the disc (waiting for me to put in another disc).

Is there a way to use ITunes to burn a 90 minute disc?

Reaction score
Thank you for replying...unfortunately I'm not sure I understood what you're telling me (sorry).

There is enough "room" on the audio disc to records more than 80 minutes of music, but ITunes won't let me record more than 80 -- is there a way to override this "default" setting?

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. That's really a strange limitation for software as "advanced" as Apple and ITunes. Oh well...so it goes.

Reaction score
Nothing to do with Apple or iTunes, its a Standard that is limited by what will play in Non-Computers. They could break the Standard and then have people complaining that the Audio CDs don't play in every CD player. If you want more time then CD Audio is not the format you want use one of the other formats iTunes will burn those also.

Standard CDs have a diameter of 120 millimetres (4.7 in) and can hold up to 80 minutes of uncompressed audio or 700 MB (700 × 106 bytes) of data.

As with Red Book, each sector on the disc holds 3234 bytes of data, but Mode 1 sectors start with the 12 bytes of sync data, followed by 4 bytes of header information. The space for user data is 2048 bytes and this is followed by the extra layer of error correction, which consists of 4 bytes of EDC, 8 bytes of blank space, and 276 bytes of ECC. Then, as with all CDs, you have the 882 bytes which contain the first and second layer Red Book-style EDC/ECC and Control Bytes. Mode 2 sectors are primarily used where the absolute integrity of the data is not as important -- for, say, audio or animation -- so Mode 2 sectors do not have the extra layer of error correction. They do still use the sync and header information, though, so there are 2336 bytes remaining for data.

Physical size Audio Capacity CD-ROM Data Capacity Definition
120 mm 74–99 min 650–870 MB Standard size

Reaction score
This is really strange --- if I use a program called Burn, I have no problem burning a CD longer than 80 minutes, and no problem playing the discs on my home CD players.

However, Burn does not use a Playlist -- the burn is directly from the audio files, so it's a pain in the tush moving files back and forth...ITunes would be much easier.

Since you've been so helpful, and I very much appreciate it...I'll ask one more question: if I make an audio DVD, will it play back on a standard DVD/CD player? That would be one way to solve the time limitation.

Much thanx.

Reaction score
Its all about the level of compression that programs like Burn and iTunes use, the amount of data they can get on the disk is constant, iTunes will not compress the tracks to fit, Burn may do.

It depends on the player, at the price of blank DVDs I would give it a go. I know many Classical performances don't fit to the arbitrary size Phillips decided on and its a pain.

I've switched to AppleTV, Airport Express, iPods and streaming from my iMac, and have put my CD collection into storage.

Ask a Question