iTunes - problem burning large (> 1 CD) playlist

Reaction score
I've captured a 2-hour radio show as an AAC file, converted it to MP3, and split the MP3 into 2 files (1:00 and 0:58 in length). I've imported the 2 MP3 files into iTunes and put them in a playlist. I set up the info for each file to indicate the title, artist, etc., and set each file to be Track 1 of 1, and Disk 1 or 2 of 2.

When I try to burn the playlist to CD-R, I get the dialog saying the playlist is too large for one CD, do I want to create multiple audio CDs?

The dialog button choices are Cancel and Audio CDs. I click the Audio CDs button, the dialog disappears, and iTunes just sits there (i.e., it seems to have reverted to an idle state).

This problem occurs on both my PowerBook (G4 1.5GHz) and my PowerMac (Quicksilver 2001 G4 733MHz); both are running iTunes 6 on Mac OS-X 10.3.9. I'm using an 80 minute/700 MB CD-R, which should be able to hold one of the files as audio, and I've used the same batch of CD-Rs to record a different episode of the same show (although with older versions of Mac OS-X and iTunes).

Any ideas?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

You will need to change the format of the CD-R to either MP3 or Data...

The default prefernces in iTunes is to burn an 'Audio CD' this will play in anything...but your can't burn your two song playlist because it's over 80 minutes long...

...however you can change the 'type' of CD that gets burnt to either MP3 or Data.

These will allow you to burn the playlist, but will only play in 'players' that support their format...

itunesprefs.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating, I went back and re-burned the earlier radio show episode I'd captured using its iTunes playlist. It split the two-file playlist across 2 audio CDs and burned them (1:03 & 0:55, respectively) without problems, so my current problem was not an iTunes/OSX version issue.

After some more inspection of/tinkering with the new playlist, the only significant difference I could find was that the files in the newer playlist had originally been captured as AAC and converted to MP3; the older playlist was captured direct to MP3 (and split).

I recaptured the newer stream as an MP3 file, split it into two files, loaded into iTunes, and burned the playlist onto 2 audio CDs (1:00:18 & 0:58:36), no problem.

Apparently, iTunes does not want to burn anything that has ever been an AAC file; despite conversion to MP3 and further manipulations (splitting), the original source info was retained and could not easily be removed. An error message form iTunes would have been nice, though, instead of just stopping with no burn.

Lessons learned: Playlist-splitting over multiple CDs works fine in iTunes 6, but beware of AAC-originated files.

Ask a Question