Issue with /private/etc/hosts or something

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad topic title, had a hard time phrasing my title and also make it relevant while keeping it short and concise.

Background
Hello! I'm a 29 year old developer, mostly working on MacBooks Pro etc, i wouldn't consider my self inexperienced or anything.
I'm probably among the people that are the most experienced in the nearby area / my office, but by no means a pro at MacOS stuff.

Hardware / Software
Version: MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
MacOS Version: 10.14.6 (18G103) Mojave

Issue
For some reason i am "pointed" to my localhost server (Laravel Valet) 404 page when visiting sites that have no SSL or invalid SSL!

I am well aware of the /private/etc/hosts file and how to use it and i've double checked it, there's nothing wrong there!
In addition to that, i also get this window as shown in the image below.

And when pressing "Advanced" and "Continue to website" i am "pointed" to localhost, for some reason all invalid SSL goes to localhost and cannot be viewed, really strange, and it started the last 2 weeks or so as far as i can remember.

I've tried in four different browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari, all of them are having the same issue.
I have no installed a whole lot of new things, only "CleanMyMac Pro" if i recall correctly.

Are there apps or programs that can also modify (without the host file) where domains are pointed? Security apps, Chrome or anything else?
If you need more information then just ask!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, this isn't a hosts file issue, if it is intact and looks normal. Something would have need to be changed for it to affect things. I have seen this with folks using a VPN connection, or older versions of macOS/browsers than you are using.

It definitely could have something to do with Laravel Valet or dnsmasq, both of which I am not familiar with. There is some documentation that talks about TLS security: Securing Sites With TLS on the Laravel Valet website. Maybe it has something to do with that.

C

Ask a Question