Issue with Bluetooth Keyboard MC184LL/B (A1255)

Reaction score
Hello, hope you're well! This is my first time posting in this forum.

Last year I purchased a used Apple Bluetooth MC184LL/B (A1255) that seemed in good condition. I used it for a while without any issue I can recall before being laid off not long after, at which point I put it aside for a time.

I'm now starting a new job, so I dusted it off, replaced the batteries, and attempted to connect once more. It took countless attempts, I had to restart my laptop, and take the batteries out and put them back in again, but it eventually paired again.

However, the big problem I'm having is how random keys seem to spontaneously stick internally for no discernible reason. The physical key itself is fine, but at unpredictable intervals, a key I press will repeat infinitely before the keyboard disconnects, pauses, and then reconnects.

Sometimes it's a comma that repeats infinitely, sometimes I go to lower the volume by one notch and it goes all the way to muted, or if it's a vowel the little window showing different accented versions will appear. Worse, is when it's the backspace key - I've had to retype this message about 10 times because the keyboard went haywire and deleted everything,

At other times, though a bit less frequently, the keyboard will just disconnect and reconnect with no other effects at all. Interestingly, it often will say "connection lost" on screen, but not note that it has reconnected when it does, I just find out by clicking something until it appears.

What do you experts advise that I do? Is there some way to run diagnostics? Do a harder reset than taking the batteries out? Is it a lost cause? Because it's an older piece, most of the advice I'm finding online seems quite outdated, so I wanted to get an updated opinion.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have several of these keyboards, and what I have noticed in the newer OS'es that they are harder to pair. But once paired I have not had any issues.

I woudl recommend replacing the keyboard. They are fairly inexpensive.

Ask a Question