SOLVED iPod problems

Reaction score
I have an iPod Nano and two iPod Shuffles and the same problem with all of them.
Since updating to Catalina and the disappearance of iTunes, I'm having problems.
Music can see the songs on the iPods, but will not play them.
Finder cannot see the original music on the iPods, but will show anything I've added recently. It will play both old and new songs.
I've googled and it seems I have to talk to Apple about the problem :(
Before I try that, I wonder if anyone knows a quick fix so that I can access the original songs?
TIA
Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 10.41.32.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It sounds like it may have to do with DRM or the built-in mechanism that prevents songs added to an iOS device from another compuuter from being transferred to another computer.

-Are those songs in your current Music Library?
-Do they play normally on the iPods themselves?
-Were they added to the iPods on a different Mac or computer?
-Are they purchased songs, or songs ripped from CDs?
-If purchased, were they purchased with the same Apple ID that is currently signed in to the Store in the Music application?

C

Reaction score
Sorry for delay in replying
I haven't been very good at transferring my music library on my iMac/MBP, usually just started up again whenever I get new kit/or do a reinstall. (I was used to using Windows drag and drop for music, and didn't like the way iMac handles it.)
The music already on the iPods plays normally, but as they are tiny, there is no way of knowing what's coming next, as there is no screen.
Yes, I'm on my 4th iMac, and music added as I've gone along.
A mixture of purchased songs from both Apple and Amazon, plus ripped from my own CDs.
What was purchased from Apple was all under same Apple ID.
Since writing the above, friend has given me an iPod with a little screen (Nano?) and I have exactly the same problem with that.
With his, I gave up and deleted all his stuff and started afresh with my own music and all is well (and because it has a screen, I can see and chose which playlist to listen to :)
I have decided to cut my losses and do the same with the two tiny iPods as well.
But I will take your advice and this time am carefully building my music library, which I will transfer next time I change/reinstall any of my Macs
Thank you for your help :)

Ask a Question