IPad Name

Reaction score
I have an iPad and an iPad Pro. Both have unique names entered in settings, ie: Betty’s iPad and Betty’s Music, but when I send something to them by Airdrop they both come up with a name which is different again, and is in the same format as: A & Mrs B Smith. How can I have them recognised by the names I’ve given them in settings?

Reaction score
When you airdrop an item it shows the name in your contact card. Below your name it should show the device name, so if you have multiple devices you should be able to pick which device you want to airdrop to.

Reaction score
If I keep both iPads open, and select airdrop, it shows exactly the same for both iPads, even although one is an iPad Pro, so I have no way of knowing which is which.

Why on earth does it take your name from your contacts? My iPads are exclusively mine yet it shows my husband’s name too, and does the same for his!

Reaction score
To have them show your name go into your contacts and if you don't have your own contact, create a separate contact card for you.

Once done in the list of contacts press and hold on your card. in the popup list that shows select Make This My Card.

Once this is done then go to Settings -> General -> About. Click on the name that you have there and change it., do the same on your second iPad.

Now when you AirDrop a file, you should see all your devices with your name and the device name below it as pictured below.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 4.38.14 PM.png

Reaction score
I’m not understanding what you mean. I’ve made a new card , and made it my contact card. When you say,
Once this is done then go to Settings -> General -> About. Click on the name that you have there and change it., do the same on your second iPad.

Now when you AirDrop a file, you should see all your devices with your name and the device name below it as pictured below.

View attachment 5041

what have to change the name of my devices to? They are already named in settings, the first one ‘Betty’s iPad’ and the iPad Pro is named ‘Betty’s Music.’ However, when the list of devices comes up in Airdrop, there are two, both with my name in full, and underneath each one it still says, ‘Betty’s iPad’, even although one is named ‘Betty’s Music’. I don’t know why it’s still displaying the same name for both devices.

Reaction score
Have you tried this with Betty’s iPad turned off to see if the name is still showing up wrong on the iPad Pro?

What I would try is on the iPad Pro, Change the device name to just iPad Pro, and then do a reboot of the iPad.

To do the reboot, tap the Volume up then tap the Volume down, then press and hold the power button until the  logo shows up (about 10 seconds). After the reboot, change the name of the iPad Pro back to Betty’s Music and then try AirDrop again.

Reaction score
I’ve done everything you advise and the Pro is still showing up as just iPad, even when the other one is closed. I then changed the name of the first iPad to ‘Test’ and Airdrop still refers to it as ‘iPad’. It seems Airdrop recognises they’re both iPads but doesn’t pick up their designated names in settings. It is also doing the same with my iPhone, not picking up its name either.

Ask a Question