Internet Router Help

Reaction score
I was just wondering if it is possible to set up a wireless router wrong, it works, but it's super slow.
I recently re-set it up, and ever since then, it's been slower than dial-up.
I'm just wondering, if it's possible to set it up wrong, or if it works, it's set up right.
If you know what I mean ? Haha.
Thanks in advance :)

karazelle

Reaction score
It's usually either/or.

First check with wireless routers - connect cable between computer and router to see if that works full speed if possible. You might have signal issues.

Attempt to change the channel the wireless router uses. Remember to change channels in increments of 2, so if your channel is 6, don't use 5 or 7. How to do this depends on the router but is usually done in its user interface.

If you have more than one computer, do all your computers exhibit the same problem?

Reaction score
I tried plugging it in through ethernet, and it was just as bad.
Then I tried doing that channel thing, and still nothing.
Do you think it could just be a problem with the ISP or something ?

Reaction score
Oh, and I don't use two computers, but my iPod touch acts the same.
It works but it's super slow, and often times things will not work on my iPod (youtube, iTunes store, and also certain sites won't work)

karazelle

Reaction score
Is it possible to connect directly to your broadband modem and see if the connection is still slow? That would definitely indicate your connection. As it is, I would probably still contact the ISP, but they will probably ask you to go around the router anyhow.

Reaction score
The first thing that should have been done is plug it directly into the modem. Newbie networking 101...

There is a nasty habbit in this forum of not specifying hardware and software. So here are the questions:

1. What's the Brand of Router?

2. Whats the Model Number of the router?

3. Who is your ISP?

4. What settings did you have to play with the get it to work the first/second time round?

5. What kind of Modem do you have?

6. Does your Service Contract (And yes you DO have one) require you to validate a network sharing/splitting/routing device?

The information provided is simply too vague.

Ask a Question