International input gone crazy

Reaction score
Hi. I'm having some weird problems suddenly with my Japanese language option. I hope someone can help!!

I'm on a Macbook with these specs:

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.17f0

I set up the following International Input methods: US Extended, Hiragana and Katakana. It worked like a dream. I would select Hiragana, and I could type using english sounds and it would transliterate to Hiragana. If I selected Katakana, it did the same. Then one day I added Cangji from the simplified Chinese option, thinking to write in Kanji also. It didn't work really well (my Kanji is basically non-existant anyway) so I disabled it. Then the fun began:

First, when I selected Hiragana, my words were randomly (apparently) transliterated sometimes in Hiragana, sometimes in Katakana, sometimes into Kanji. (Though Kanji was de-selected). I couldn't get JUST Hiragana. After many attempts at re-selecting and de-selecting some or all of the input options, I finally ended up again with just Hiragana enabled.

But now, not only does it sometimes throw in Katakana, but the Hiragana is no longer transliterating the correct characters. I type "ka" and it prints the character for "no."

This makes it really difficult for me to do my Japanese homework.

This is not to mention the fact that a while back it stopped working in Word altogether, when it initially had worked fine in Word. It continued to work in Mail and Chat, but not in word. (This is the least of my worries now, though. My homework is by email)

Can you help? I recently repaired permissions, but it did not affect the transliteration problems.

With thanks in advance,

arigatou gozaimasu,

Pez

Reaction score
Font cache could be causing the problem. I'd start with a good maintenance program: MainMenu, Cocktail, MacJanitor. Eliminating font caches could clear the problems.

Another thing you can try is Applications > Font Book. Make sure you have "All Fonts" selected on the navigation left-hand side bar. Then go to File > Validate Fonts. The software will let you know if any fonts are corrupted. You can then read the report Font Book generates and see if you have any trouble font(s).

Ask a Question